Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the 2004 Giant NRS 3 and love it! The only short coming I could find is the Rock Shox Pilot front shock. I would like to upgrade to a Fox shock but am not sure if I should go from the factory 80mm shock to a 100mm or go for the adjustable Talas that goes from 90mm to 130mm. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading the shock on this bike?

· MBAA!
294 Posts
Hey weve got the same bikes[/end random fact]

What type of riding do you do? Im assuming singletrack XC? On grassy, foresty paths or rocky, desert paths? Any big drops/technical climibng or descending sections?

Personally I will probably be getting the RSEVEN when it comes out, because the Pilot isnt really that bad I dont think... it can hold me out for awhile.

· enjoy the view
176 Posts
i've been thinking of doing the same thing with mine (skareb elite 80mm). i was hoping to get a fox f100rlt but i might just wait for my skareb to give before i get the f100rlt. probably get me a set of avid juicy7's first or something comparable as against my avid mech's.

good luck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Giant NRS 3 fork upgrade

Thank you for replying. Do you think the Fox F100RLT will significantly change the geometry of the bike? That's the only concern I have. If you look at the entire NRS line, they come with 80mm forks. Have you heard from anyone on this?

· Registered
69 Posts
grider said:
Thank you for replying. Do you think the Fox F100RLT will significantly change the geometry of the bike? That's the only concern I have. If you look at the entire NRS line, they come with 80mm forks. Have you heard from anyone on this?
Save more money and get F100X to compliment your semi-active rear shock but only if you want a fork for trail and xc as well. Don't worry about the geometry when getting more front suspension because the nrs tend to ride high. Enjoy the ride!

· MBAA!
294 Posts
Just curious, how well should a Minute 02 perform? Not sure about travel. Does it come in an 80mm size? My friends offering my one for 230$ and im debating... will 100mm change the goemetry too much? Would I be happier wtih an RSEVEN?

Im also looking at a Manitou Black Elite, 100mm travel for 135$. Will this affect my geoemtry too drastically/be too heavy/a whole lot worse than a minute? Theres also a Minute 2 for 165$ but disc only... :confused:

· enjoy the view
176 Posts
first off, i'm a 250lb xc/trail/fun rider, and i've tried my friends nrs with the f100rlt. it seemed a little bit more forgiving in an all over kinda way. my friend is a cat4 roadie and a xc junkie. he says it gives him a lot more versatility, he can stiffen it up on climbs and loosen it down on the descents. for me it sounds like the perfect match, regarding geometry, i think that the travel increase affects the geometry in a positive way giving a slacker head angle (good for downhills) and the lockout is good for the climbs.

hope this gives you some info.

· MBAA!
294 Posts
I would like to be able to afford meals after buying a fork. I think that goes for the original poster as well... (the fox 100rlt is probably out of our ranges. definitely out of mine).

· Registered
173 Posts
I ride a NRS3 and just swapped out the Pilot fork. I replaced it with a Manitou Black which is adjustable from 100mm to 120mm. I have it set at the 100mm and I can tell you the front end of my bikes sits higher now. I'm still in the "lets see if I get use to it phase" but I'm tempted to place the Pilot back on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.