Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen at a nearby LBS where I was to pick up spokes, and managed to ask for too few, too long.

Giant Triple X (also Triple X5 exists), €399.

I first spotted the Big Apple 2.35" sticking out from the row. Seems to be a bike designed for kids to go to school with, and look cool.

Check it out on the www.giant-bicycles.com website, I can't get the site to save pics for me right now. I found it via my location, "Netherlands", but it may appear with others as well.

Might be a cool project for someone not too tall that can get one at clearance...

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
Couldn't find it, Cloxxki. Went to the Netherlands site, couldn't see. I may be blind, though.
Once you're in the Netherlands site, click the "fietsen" tab and then the "City Specials" range, and you'll see this page:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?range=157

Dunno about geometry or whether it's a "real" mountain bike ... but if it can fit the Big Apple then it can fit real 29" tires! 16.6kg sure is heavy for a singlespeed though!

This bike doesn't show up in any of the English-language Giant country sites that I checked, not even UK.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't most cruisers have low BB's? It's probably going to be run with 170mm cranks anyway.
From the pics, the head tube angles look slack. The fork is nice and thin, could be quite comfy.
Compared to the rest of the bike, those huge tires actually look tiny!
It's probably using frames dedicated for these models, I don't know of other Giants with clearance for even 2.1" tires, let alone these.

Completely stripped of cruiser-type parts, and rebuilt with a long&low quill stem, MTB bar plus some knobbies, this frame could raise some eyebrows at the starting line or group ride :)

Finally a frame to try 29" in racing for the many Giant pro's?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.