Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good fs bike for trail riding, riding around town, and will it still have something left for when I get experienced enough to be more aggressive as a rider? I'm a little worried about bobbing going up hills. I noticed it has a Fox Vanilla rear shock but I'm guessing this isn't one of the ProPedal models. I sort of want a fairly decent do everything bike. If bikes in the around $1000 range won't do it then maybe I'm best off with a Kona Blast in the meantime. Is this a frame that is worth upgrading?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have that exact same question. I really hope that someone will write something about this who has one or has some knowledge of this bike. I am thinking of this bike as well.
Awesome question.
I'll wait to hear

Jesse

·
Registered
234 Posts
the kona website doesn't have the vanilla on the kikapu as having propedal. i test rode a 2002 model and even with a shorter travel suspension it bobbed a bunch. other than that it rides well and has some good components for the money. the suspension design is pretty common, trek, turners, and others use the same faux bar linkage. i like it on my fuel. it's a great looking starter bike and would certainly be worth upgrading later on. but i would look into getting an air shock, with or without a stable platform for cheap on ebay and maybe sending it to Push Ind. when you had the money. you could even push the stock vanilla if you wanted.

you might also want to check out
http://www.kona.dk

and the kona board on these forums

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
A jamis Dakar would probably be a better bike at the same price. It comes with fox vanilla pro pedal, black fork and a pretty good component group.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CDMC said:
A jamis Dakar would probably be a better bike at the same price. It comes with fox vanilla pro pedal, black fork and a pretty good component group.
Which Dakar are you referring to? The one that retails at $999 is the Dakar Sport I believe. It looks like it's got the same Fox Vanilla shock. It doesn't say ProPedal. I think the $1430 Dakar XC Comp has ProPedal along with the models above it.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
I swore it had pro-pedal but you are right that it doesn't say so on their website. Maybe I was wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts