Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried the search function and with every combination I could think of to no avail.
Can anyone tell me or give me a link for how to disasemble it. I bought new springs and want to install them myself and learn how to work on it but can't find any info. I am also putting in new oil. Thanks for any help.
Any tips/tricks or things I should know would be great also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I unscrewed the top and there is another piece under it with a small hole in it...does that just pull out or screw out? And also, to change the oil to you just turn the fork upsidedown to dump the old oil out or what? Any basic measurement to start with for adding new oil?
Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
that is just a washer. If you take both caps off at the same time, press the fork down and you can grab the springs.

Oil is measured with the springs out, fork fully compressed, measured from the oil to the top of the tubes at 90-100mm (90mm harder to compress, 100mm easier)

·
Registered
217 Posts
the jr t's are the simplest forks EVER. seriousl dont worry about it. heres how it goes:

remove all preload
unscrew topcaps
there is a washer and a plastic spacer- pull those out
then, you have the spring stacks- a larger one, a washer, and a smaller one. pull those out.
now, you can change your springs. (or play around with hard soft combos (larger medium spring, hard shorter one, ect) if you wanna continue to rebuild your fork from this state, herew what you need to do:

dump the oil out, and cycle the shock a few times (wont get everything)
flip the fork over (oh yeah, take it off your bike, much easier to work on), and unscrew the two nuts on the lower fork legs, (you may need to use the rebound adjuster rod to keep the cartdge from just spinning)
pull the lowers off the stanchions.
now you have the dampeners hangin there. there is a lock ring that holds um in. unclip it and pull it out. (you dont really need to do this unless you wanna inspect/clean them really good. there is also a simple mod you can do that involves spacing the valve to help eliveate the 'Spiking" those forks get.), now you have the fork in two peices. the lowers have two oil seals, an upper one, and a lower one (you should replace these if yor gonna be rebuilding your fork) they are a ***** to change, but its pretty simple. there is a clip below each seal that you need to compress and pull out. from there, its just poppin them out. now your fork is put back together. i forgot what the recomended oil hight iss for those forks, but i know you can find it in the manual/ online. now just put everything back together after cleanning everything.

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah^, zedros gotcha covered with the oil hight. when your adjusting that, what you have to take into accout is the way they work: the fluid is what dampens the motion of the fork, but its the air trapped inside it that gives it that nice, ramping up feeling. more fluid gives you a more dampend, linear stroke, while less oil gives you a lighter, more progressive feeling ride

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.