Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my 2004 Hollowpoint with the 2003 Z1 SL out on Friday night for it's first true trail ride in that set up and lemme tell you I was really impressed with the bike.

The ride starts out with a pretty long climb and I just put the ECC on and pedaled right up the hill without a problem at all. The ECC feature lowers the front end real nicely for climbing and it is an easy dial to get to on the trail. So far I like it a lot. I didn't even use the lockout on my fox float AVA (soon to be changed to an AD12) on this climb.

The Hollowpoint really shined on the rough rooty and rocky sections of trail and the bike also felt pretty nimble in the tight twisty stuff even with the Z1 up front. The Z1 definitely instills confidence and it tracks really really well through the rough stuff.

All in all I found myself riding better and having more fun on this bike than my previous FS trail bike, which I still think is a good bike - a Balfa Belair. But I definitely feel like my switch to the Hollowpoint was a switch in a positive direction.

All in all two thumbs up for the Hollowpoint and the Z1 SL combination.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out so well. I am going to be in the market for a new fork this summer. Not real happy with the Black Super mine came with. Nothing wrong with it...just not sexy and special enough for my tastes.

·
Crawlin' like a Crawfish!
178 Posts
Yeah!

If you like it now, you will just like it more and more! ECC rocks!
Your photos of the bike looked great. Let us know how the AD-12 works out, I'm not happy with my 5th element and reading Nate's postings really make it sound like the right one.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I have the spacer kit from Cane Creek to make the shock fit the IH, but I gotta figure out what tools I need to get the old spacers out and the new ones in.

Are they just press fit?

Any advice??

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Yep, just press fit.

Grab a 'C' clamp (or bench vise), and a couple different sizes of sockets.

The end caps should pull off with no trouble.

To remove the mounting axle, use a deep socket with an inner diameter big enough to receive the axle, using the clamp to press.

Once the axle is flush with the eye of the shock (and can't be pressed any further), find a socket with an outer diameter smaller than the eye and continue the press.

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Vecsus said:
Glad to hear it worked out so well. I am going to be in the market for a new fork this summer. Not real happy with the Black Super mine came with. Nothing wrong with it...just not sexy and special enough for my tastes.
Look me up if you decide to sell the Black Super as I will be in the market for a fork sometime this summer as well. I am on the fence about a bling fork or just a good functional one.

Mr. P

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Thanks for the write up. It helps the rest of us when we look to a new fork with the HollowPoint.

The ETA feature sounds so much better than a pure lock-out. I can't imagine if I would ever want a pure lockout, but 20-30mm sounds just right. And dialing down the angles at the same time for climbing seems like a real benefit.

Mr. P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.