Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I got a Giant NRS-3 for christmas last year and love the bike to death. I usually ride alone, but will be doing some group rides soon to find out how I stack up to others. Ive been considering heavily getting into the racing scene, and was wondering what would be a good starting point?

Specs are stock with the excpetion of SRAM X7 front/rear derrailers and shifters.

Im looking at a Minute 2 for 230$. Its a great deal, but is it right for XC? Im content with just about everything on the bike but am looking into the new Hutchinson Python Airlights, my tread is wearing down a little. Will replacing the RaceFace cranks save enough weight to counteract the cost?

Will the Minute 02 fork be better than my Pilot XC air? How about the RSEVEN? I might be getting Avid Juicy 5 disc brakes but those will add substantial weight, am I wrong?

·
Registered
267 Posts
en are es said:
Hello all, I got a Giant NRS-3 for christmas last year and love the bike to death. I usually ride alone, but will be doing some group rides soon to find out how I stack up to others. Ive been considering heavily getting into the racing scene, and was wondering what would be a good starting point?

Specs are stock with the excpetion of SRAM X7 front/rear derrailers and shifters.

Im looking at a Minute 2 for 230$. Its a great deal, but is it right for XC? Im content with just about everything on the bike but am looking into the new Hutchinson Python Airlights, my tread is wearing down a little. Will replacing the RaceFace cranks save enough weight to counteract the cost?

Will the Minute 02 fork be better than my Pilot XC air? How about the RSEVEN? I might be getting Avid Juicy 5 disc brakes but those will add substantial weight, am I wrong?
If you are thinking about racing alot and think that you might really get into it, you're probably better off with the R Seven since it's a bit lighter than a Minute 2. Either one will definetely be an improvement over you Pilot XC though. As for the Juicy brakes adding weight or not - it depends on what you are replacing. I'm not too familiar with the NRS's so I can't give you a definite answer. You can always check Weightweenies for weight statistics. Good luck!

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My bike is:
http://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.000.asp?year=2004&model=10877

And as stated earlier, SRAM X7. I found a Manitou Black Elite for 135$ and a Minute 2 for 165$. Is the price gap worth it? Which is lighter and which is better? Better for XC? They are both 100mm, I will probably run it where it has some sag to get rid of that and make it more active. If I dont run it sagging, will the geometry difference be noticeable? 80mm to 100mm is pretty different.

I dont care about weight... which fork is best for XC/long epic rides. Possibly a 24 hour event. I dont want to be aching the whole time if I can help it. Choices:
Minute 2
RSEVEN
Black Elite

Im personally leaning towards the Black Elite because the Minute would require me to go to disc (disc only) or lose my front brake. The RSEVEN is good, but as far as actual performance I believe the Black would be better. The RSEVEN is also lower-end.

This christmas I might ask for a Giant VT frame and build that up to do more heavy trail riding, so brakes are probably out of the question. I will go disc eventually I hope... but not sure now. I dont really need them, I just like the fact that they dont lock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts