Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying the 2004 Vanilla RLC for my turner 5 spot. I was originally considering buying the 2005 talas, but my biker dealer said that the air shock might not be able to handle my weight; i'm close to 220. So then I was thinking about the 2005 vanilla, but i saw a listing for a slightly used 2004 vanilla rlc at $275. Are there any signicant upgrades to the 2005 that should make me reconsider buying the 2005? The one thing i like about the 2004 is that it has the v-brake bosses. I currently don't have disc brakes or the wheels to support them. I plan on eventuallly making the jump, but after just dropping $1400 on the 5 spot frame, i'm a little strapped for cash so i wanted to utilize some of my existing components. Other than the extra 5mm of travel, what does the 2005 have to offer? They both have lockout and neither can be adjusted on the fly. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
NutterButter said:
I'm looking into buying the 2004 Vanilla RLC for my turner 5 spot. I was originally considering buying the 2005 talas, but my biker dealer said that the air shock might not be able to handle my weight; i'm close to 220. So then I was thinking about the 2005 vanilla, but i saw a listing for a slightly used 2004 vanilla rlc at $275. Are there any signicant upgrades to the 2005 that should make me reconsider buying the 2005? The one thing i like about the 2004 is that it has the v-brake bosses. I currently don't have disc brakes or the wheels to support them. I plan on eventuallly making the jump, but after just dropping $1400 on the 5 spot frame, i'm a little strapped for cash so i wanted to utilize some of my existing components. Other than the extra 5mm of travel, what does the 2005 have to offer? They both have lockout and neither can be adjusted on the fly. Thanks for any advice.
I was facing the same situation, i know that the 2005 is significantly lighter, tho I can't remember by how much (maybe a quarter pound? more???). that being said, i got the 2004 cuz of v-brake compatibilty, it's an outstanding fork. if the price difference is large enough, absolutely go with the 2004.

if you have to have the latest and greatest, i know that fox was offering a lower with v-brake bosses that you could retrofit on a 2005...

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
NutterButter said:
The compression adjustment on the pre-2005 forks is basically worthless. If you want external compression adjustment that actually works, then you'll need the 2005 model. I also think that the 2005 model is a 130mm travel, vs 125 on the pre-2005 models.

Since you're close to 220, I think you would like the Marzocchi 04Z1FR. It is on sale at Supergo for $299. I have an 03 Z1FR on my spot and I weigh considerably less than you. I prefer the Z1 on the 5 Spot to the Vanilla. I originally had a Vanilla 125 on my spot. It's a good fork, but a bit spikey with big hits. The Zoke is easier to work on and can take more abuse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.