Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure as to how I'm gonna be riding. I just want to get into better shape and I figured biking would be a good way. Probably just local trails. And in regards to specs. I guess which one has better components? I don't know much about the equipment to know the difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well the Diamond bike retailed at $285 seems to be the kind of bike you'd find at a big box store like Walmart. Both have pretty basic entry level components, but the Motobecane is a 8 speed, while the diamond back is only a 7 speed. That being said I would go with the motobecane and upgrade as you progress in your riding. Make sure you take a trip down to your local bike shop and try out a few bikes to get a general idea of what frame size you would need.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that I'm a size 19. Ii just wasn't sure if the db was better or not. From the reviews it seems like the motobecane is a better bike. And from the reviews of bikes direct seems like folks have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
231 Posts
VOLVO S70 said:
I think that I'm a size 19. Ii just wasn't sure if the db was better or not. From the reviews it seems like the motobecane is a better bike. And from the reviews of bikes direct seems like folks have nothing but good things to say.
Well like you said you're just riding for fitness/recreation, so the motobecane should be just fine. If you end up getting hooked and become more aggressive with your riding you'll definitely need a good full suspension bike. That DB is "full suspension" but it's more like a spring on the front and a spring on the back. The ride will be rough at best. As you get into some rougher terrain you want something a bit more plush that will absorb the hits.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This is kinda long and complex but will help you ensure you get the right fit. click here frame size is not the only factor, because bike fit could be very different from one mfrs 19" to anothers. You've also got to take into account top tube length. Before anything like I said go test ride a few bikes at your local bike shop.

·
Banned
216 Posts
VOLVO S70 said:
What do I need to look for with the top tube length?
You don't want the top tube so long as to make the handle bars hard to reach(you want a slight bend to the elbows at seated position) To short and you will feel cramped. Best bet is to sit on al the bikes you can and get that "feel" that makes you feel that yo ucan throw that bike around on the trail.

I tend to get the smallest frame as possible for my body, because I want that 3 inches of clearance from the top bar to my nuts for safety and the smaller frame means less weight and nimbler handling on the tight stuff. I jack my seat up as far as I can get it for power stroking and it gives me room to position the seat wherever I want it depending on the riding I am doing.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
VOLVO S70 said:
Sounds good. I think the hardtail should be good for now. But I'm assuming as you get more agressive a full suspension is better?
That Hardtail is preferable to the pogo stick DB you're looking at. Riding that thing will do nothing but discourage you. BikesDirect sells nicely specced bikes at a decent price. You just need to do some minor assembly upon receipt. The first 29er I had was a Fantom Cross Pro HT from them and it was specced to a level which I would have had to pay at least a couple hundred extra for at a LBS. Full suspension is a choice that is up to rider preference. I've been MTBing for over 20 years and now find myself on a rigid singlespeed 29er. Good Luck with your choice. As far as frame size, how tall are you?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
wickedone31 said:
If you end up getting hooked and become more aggressive with your riding you'll definitely need a good full suspension bike.
I beg to differ. Unless they're downhilling exclusively, why would they want a heavier FS bike that is harder to climb with and saps power when you pedal due to the suspension compressing?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
SeaBass_ said:
I beg to differ. Unless they're downhilling exclusively, why would they want a heavier FS bike that is harder to climb with and saps power when you pedal due to the suspension compressing?
My bmc trailfox climbs just as good as my HT Focus Black Forest all I need to do is turn on the pro pedal and lock the fork. Not only does it climb good but it goes down good as well and I dont need to slow over the rough stuff it just glides. I am faster on my fs bike than on my ht in the woods any day because of the better control. The new suspension designs are really good and its so much easier on your back. Sure the fs bike is a little heavier and a little slower on flat ground but its so much better every where else I dont care. :cool:

Don't get me wrong I love me a ht or a rigid or any bike for that matter but if I had to choose just one it would be a 120mm trail bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm impressed that you joined a mountain biking forum 4 years in advance of planning a bike purchase. That Diamondback would not be good. Even if the motobecane was terrible it would still be a better option. 400ish $$ on the used market should do better than those two.

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
wickedone31 said:
If you end up getting hooked and become more aggressive with your riding you'll definitely need a good full suspension bike.
Damned few people "need" a full-squish bike. A lot of very serious, very aggressive riders progress to rigid, single-speed bikes - totally the opposite of FS. I think you're both over-stating and over-simplifying the case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I ended up purchasing the motobecane for 280. Somone bought it but it was to big for them and he needed the cash. It's a 19" and I'm 6'2 and the bike fits prefect. Only got to ride it for a few mins but so far so good. I'm pleased with the bike so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.