Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help from you Marzocchi experts out there.

I just picked up a 2003 Z1 SL and installed it on my bike today. The previous owner weighed in at about 225 pounds or so. I weigh about 180 with my gear on.

So I went to reset the positive and negative air chambers in the fork but ran into a little snag. I don't think my Topeak shock pump is sensitive enough for the low PSIs required in the positive air chambers of this fork, and it's also not the most sensitive for the Negative PSI settings either.

So I could use some help.

1. Could someone recommend a good pump for this fork?

and

2. Could someone run me through a step by step set up procedure?

Here's what I did, tell me if this is correct.

Let out all of the air in the positive and negative chambers. I then reinflated both positive chambers (but it was hard to tell what PSI I have in there since my shock pump starts registering at 60 PSI), I then inflated the Negative Air Chamber to 3 times what I had in the Positive chambers (guessing that I had about 35PSI in the positives - but again not certain).

Any help you can provide would really rock!

Thanks!

Mark

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Yes, DEFINITELY get a new shock pump. One that starts at 10 or 20 psi, and hopefully does not go over 250. The old nasty Rockshox syringe pumps are great (0-60psi).

I also weigh 180. I put 36-38psi in both positive chambers on my 03 Z1 SL, and then just keep adding nevative pressure until the fork does not topout hard. I have had it up to 200psi. Just play with the negative. It does not have much of an effect on the positive like it does in other dual chamber shocks. You can run less positive air if you raise the oil height in the right leg. I think I was running 95ml. It is very oil height sensitive so measure carefully.

There is a TON of Z1 SL tuning info on this board. A search for "z1 sl" plus "oil" or "psi" will probably get you more than you ever wanted to know...

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Brian Peterson said:
Like you said... Get a new pump first.... Next I would start with 30psi in the positive chambers and about 100 in the negative chamber.

Brian
So your signature suggests that we should e-mail you about work-related questions (ie Marzocchi stuff) yet you do not allow email to be sent to you. Is that some kind of a joke? Or did you just forget to put your email in your signature?

·
Registered
557 Posts
dscot420 said:
So your signature suggests that we should e-mail you about work-related questions (ie Marzocchi stuff) yet you do not allow email to be sent to you. Is that some kind of a joke? Or did you just forget to put your email in your signature?
Hmm... I must have over looked that box in the options.... All fixed now...

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.