Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been on a bit of a tear recently. I don't watch much TV and video games are just not very productive or fulfilling (a bit addicting). I've thrown myself into bikes. This is nothing new but occassionally I get a bit over my head.

This weekend I decided to be a hero & snagged a Small '03 Blur XC. The bike frame is in excellent shape aside from a most likely dead 5th Element air shock & lower link.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove the seized steel threaded insert from the front side of the lower link but I've noticed a fair amount of play in that bore. It's not the bearings, it's not the steel pin, it seams the lower link is worn allowing the play.

Anyone know if Santa Cruz still makes these lower links or if there is a place that sells them? I haven't received a call back from SC and can't find any online.

Ideally I'd like to get the frame in working condition & let my friends daughter ride it but if I can't find a lower link I've no other option but to part it out & try to break even.

If you have a line on where to get the lower link let me know. Or if you have an old bearing tool kit for this frame and you'd be willing to rent or sell it, let me know. If I can find a new lower link I'll most likely need that unless there are cheaper alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Seems unlikely that the cast steel link would deform.....although I did crack one on my Tallboy v.1

Looks like the Propack has all the hardware you would need to get it back up and running.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll reach out to santa cruz again. The link is cast aluminum not steel. The pivot axle is steel & if I've read correctly the interface between the link and the bearing is the slightly wider inside race on the bearing presses against the aluminum lower link. If that wider steel inner race wears against the aluminum link it will deform/remove material allowing for play.

Since it doesn't look like the there is play in the bearings I assume the lower link is the culprit. I was hoping that perhaps the threaded pin was the issue but seeing as it's the harder of two metals I'd guess it's the link. Sadly it's a pretty shitty design all around. Steel pin in aluminum lower link with no replaceable parts in the link is pretty poorly thought out even for early 2000's.

That being said, aside from that link I do like the look of that bike and the suspension kinematics were pretty advanced and it's made in the 'Merica. So it's worth some work assuming the link is available.

I'll get serious with that lower link pin today, it's been soaking in pb blaster all weekend. Looks like I'll have to remove the BB to really get at it.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did get in touch with SC. They do not have any lower links in stock. They did say that occasionally they will have a batch made but at this point no telling when.

Sadly that means it's time to strip & part out. If anyone needs a Small front triangle or rear let me know as these will be relegated to the storage shelf for sale or for future rebuild.

Thanks for the help everyone :)

·
Rubber Side Usually Down
252 Posts
Sadly that means it's time to strip & part out. If anyone needs a Small front triangle or rear let me know as these will be relegated to the storage shelf for sale or for future rebuild.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
Try JungleProducts the UK distributor. I got replacement links from them.

The one for your Blur classic seems to be out of stock but would be worth getting in touch in case they have dusty one in the back of warehouse.

https://www.jungleproducts.co.uk/shop/product/santa-cruz-blur-lower-link/51/

Don't give up just yet :thumbsup:

Reactions: eshew

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip MR Crudley!

I've already stripped the bike & sold most of it off but I would like to fix that frame & get it back in the hands of someone who'll enjoy it. OR at very least sold & out of my garage. But things tend to sell faster when they aren't broken with no fix in sight.

I've just emailed the chaps over at jungleproducts. Fingers crossed that they have what I need! Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.