Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a '03 S-works a while back, currently in the process of rebuilding it from the ground up. I've pressed in new pivot bearings and it's current at the LBS getting a King headset and fork installed (since I don't have the proper tools for that).

Does anyone know what the torque specs are on all of the pivots?

Also, is there suppose to be one washer/busing between the link and the rear shock? I'm talking about the where the rear shock is attached to the seat tube and where suspension is also attached to the frame.

https://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2003/bikes/swfsr_blk_l.jpg

Lastly, how much air pressure should I put in the rear shock? same as my weight? recommendations on rebound and compression damping settings?

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get back into riding again. Been away from the sport about 6 years and have only had hardtails in the past.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yup the 03 & 04 both have the fox brain and not the spez brain so air pressure i think is the same for all epic models w/ the fox brain ( 03 -06?). about torque values.... dunno if its in the manual but you can go to the faq page of their website. i think the site also has an interactive q&a feature. i'm sure specialized will be happy to answer all your questions. goodluck and ride safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the '04 tech manual and the torque specs are there as well as exploded view diagrams of where the various pivot washers go, etc. Wish I had thought to check when I was putting the back end together after installing new bearings. :) Thanks again.

You wouldn't happen to know if it's possible to upgrade to a different rear shock would you? I asked Specialized a while back and their official line is that I'm stuck with the Fox unit.

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
fmunk said:
Got the '04 tech manual and the torque specs are there as well as exploded view diagrams of where the various pivot washers go, etc. Wish I had thought to check when I was putting the back end together after installing new bearings. :) Thanks again.

You wouldn't happen to know if it's possible to upgrade to a different rear shock would you? I asked Specialized a while back and their official line is that I'm stuck with the Fox unit.
Because of its placement, you're stuck with it. But FWIW, lots of people seem to like the 2003 Epic better than some of the newer ones. I've even heard it called the best Epic model year to date. No personal experience on one, just what I've read around here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got my frame back from the shop (headset and fork installed), full build up is on the way!

Reading the '04 owner's manual I downloaded, based on my weight, it says to set rebound 18-16 clicks from close. My rear shock is marked fast to slow on the rebound adjuster. So which is close? fast = close? slow = close?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.