Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have my first non-air shock in about 4 years and I love the Pyslo. I just got the fork for my new bike, and I'm interested in making sure this fork stays around; therefore, instead of my younger years only-do-what-you-need-to-do-to-keep-stuff-working maintenance, I'm actually going to try to follow the recommended maintenance. I have one particular question, and maybe more if further searches on this board fail to produce anything helpful.
Oh yea, I have the manual, but some parts are pretty vague...

Ok, so clean the stanchions and check for scratches every ride... that's sounds easy enough.
My take on the cleaning is to wipe the stanchions down and the top of the foam seals with a clean cloth to remove the dust... is that correct?

Then, it suggests that every 25 hours you lubricate the foam seals. Ok, I can do that RockShox... but with what?

Also, I was looking on the Enduro seals website (going to get those eventually) and I noticed they sell a stanchion lube. It looks like it could be promising--what do ya'll recommend? Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You don't need to be too anal about keeping the fork up. Just use some common sense like wiping any excessive dirt off the stanchions after rides. Keep the wiper area clean and change the oil and clean up the insides of the fork every few months depending on use and conditions. Definately consider the Enduro seals since the RS wiper seals are not very durable. They get brittle and develop cracks pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
ickyickyptngzutboing said:
...lubricate the foam seals. Ok, I can do that RockShox... but with what?.....
The easiest way is to set the bike upside down and let the semi-bath oil drip down to the sponge.
...Also, I was looking on the Enduro seals website (going to get those eventually) and I noticed they sell a stanchion lube. It looks like it could be promising--what do ya'll recommend? Thanks for the assistance.
Enduro seals work great on the Psylo, I highly recommend them.
I used to lube the stanchions with everything under the sun. The stuff they sell works very well but like all the other lubes i've used it only lasts a couple of rides. Eventually i got tired of doing it and haven't lubed the stanchions in a year, the fork is much cleaner for it.

G

·
I have the exact same fork on my XC bike. I finally got around to maintenancing it a few weeks ago after riding it all last year and the only real reason I did so is because the lockout wasnt really working in the 125mm setting, but was in the 85mm setting (air in the system). It was very easy to pull the lowers, relube the foam rings, change the semi-bath oil and regrease the spring. I didnt remove the PURE cartridge from the right leg, but did drain it, flush it and change the oil. Put it all back together and it feels like a new fork all within 30 minutes. Just read the manual and it should all go fairly smooth for you. As for the seals, I bought a pair of the enduro's for it, but have still not installed them and have not seen any sign of oil leaks with the stock seals.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
I have the exact same fork on my XC bike. I finally got around to maintenancing it a few weeks ago after riding it all last year and the only real reason I did so is because the lockout wasnt really working in the 125mm setting, but was in the 85mm setting (air in the system). It was very easy to pull the lowers, relube the foam rings, change the semi-bath oil and regrease the spring. I didnt remove the PURE cartridge from the right leg, but did drain it, flush it and change the oil. Put it all back together and it feels like a new fork all within 30 minutes. Just read the manual and it should all go fairly smooth for you. As for the seals, I bought a pair of the enduro's for it, but have still not installed them and have not seen any sign of oil leaks with the stock seals.
Just wondering, after removing the lowers, what is needed to drain the damper without removing it?

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm... I have the original manual to the fork but it doesn't include any directions to do those procedures. After searching the Rock Shox website all I was able to find was the guide on how to service the PURE damper--and the Lower Leg Removal/Installation guide on there was for the Dual-Air model forks. I assume I can basically follow those directions--just some of the hardware will be different. Was your manual from the web? If so, where did you get it from?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hmm... I have the original manual to the fork but it doesn't include any directions to do those procedures. After searching the Rock Shox website all I was able to find was the guide on how to service the PURE damper--and the Lower Leg Removal/Installation guide on there was for the Dual-Air model forks. I assume I can basically follow those directions--just some of the hardware will be different. Was your manual from the web? If so, where did you get it from?
Its the same procedure. Pure damper is the same on all models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.