Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help with a 2003 DJ II. The newer Marzocchi manuals are of no help. Is there a special socket I need to buy to separate the lowers from the stanchions? Older Marzocchis used a 15 mm socket on the underside of each leg. The DJ looks like a 12 mm but the "relief" cut out area in the legs are too narrow in diameter for the socket to fit.

am I missing something or is there a special "thin walled" socket I need to buy? OR should I just "shave" open the hole that the bolts sit in?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Special socket...

Hey Reek...

It does take a 12mm socket, and it is a thin wall. It's 'spose to available from Marz, although I never saw it on the web site. If you have access to a bench grinder, you can "thin" your own socket... which is what I did. Just attach it to a ratchet extention and grind away. It doesn't require too much material removal, only need to grind 1/4" down from the opening and about 1/2 of the thickness. It doesn't take too long. Cool the socket frequently, so as not to "anneal" the teeth. Oh yah, use a 6 point socket.

Good luck and huck away,
Avid...

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great minds ....

That's actually what I was going to do next. But I wanted to go to Walmart tomorrow and get a cheapo socket just in case that didn't work either. So I figured I'd ask on line in the mean while. I still might do that since I don't really want to ruin my Snap on's.

Thanks a bunch!!!!

REEK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts