Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a budget racer. I'm very interested in a closeout deal on a 2003 Kokopelli Ultra lite. I'm a bit of a weight weenie without much money. It's a tough combination at most times. At any rate, my concern is with the sizing. The only size left is a large.

My current HT is has a 23.25" effective tob tube with a 110mm stem. From what I can tell the Yeti runs a bit large with a 24.4 ETT. However, my current ride has me taking a few too many trips over the bars. I would like to use a shorter stem to correct this, and a longer TT would provide more stability. I was thinking about putting a 90mm stem on the large Koko. This would be about .15" longer than my current seat to bar length (if my math is right).

However, I've read alot of past posts and checked the sizing for the ASR-SL and noticed the recommended size should be a medium for my height (5'10"). This has me a little worried. Is the Koko the same geometry and the newer ASR-SL? Am I missing something with my ETT/Stem combos above?

Any recommendations would be appreciated! I gotta get my HT before my spine turns to jello!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm 6' even and ride a medium, but I like my frames a touch on the small side. At 5'10", a large will have you really stretched out. The geomerty of the Koko is the same as the AS-R. If you can find a local shop with a large AS-R go ride it and see what you think. It might work if you like a lot of frame under you. If it doesn't, don't sweat it. There's no point in buying a bike that doesn't fit. Save up for a medium AS-R and you'll be twice as happy in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.