Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Lee said:
the vt-2 is $1250, the FSRxc comp is $1299

so confused
Do you want to ride XC or downhill? VT2 is heavy bike. It is intended for heavy duty downhill ride it also weighs more the FSRxc comp. I would buy the FSRxc comp if I were you. FSRxc is lighter and better rear suspension with fox R rear shock. The VT2 has rockshox psyloxc shock which isn't as good as Fox rear shock.
You didn't mentioned your body weight. This is important factor too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 5' 11 155lbs

I went to buy a 2004 Stumpjumper Hardtail that I saw yesterday for $999 but today it was GONE! I was bummed out man!

But then I saw this 2005 I belive? Does the price of $1299 sound right? FSRxc Comp

I realise it's not a hardtail but I live in New England (lots of trails and I LOVE trailing even though I will be road biking a lot to the trails) I feel the full suspension is better.

My waist line is 32inches

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
buy it !

Lee said:
I'm 5' 11 155lbs

I went to buy a 2004 Stumpjumper Hardtail that I saw yesterday for $999 but today it was GONE! I was bummed out man!

But then I saw this 2005 I belive? Does the price of $1299 sound right? FSRxc Comp

I realise it's not a hardtail but I live in New England (lots of trails and I LOVE trailing even though I will be road biking a lot to the trails) I feel the full suspension is better.

My waist line is 32inches
The FSRxc comp is perfect at your weight level. Don't get the Giant. You will sweat alot pedaling up hill with that bike. It's quite heavier than FSRxc comp. Go buyit before someone else grab it

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ride a VT1...

Most of the guys from our club own VT's One and Two's and we do a lot of XC/Trail rides all over Southern California. 15-20 miles on the average up technical steep singletrack and fireroads. I like the fact that the VT's are a nice pedaling platform bike with SPV, not too heavy and can take a beating too. The FSR in my opinion wouldn't serve my personal purpose so I'd recomend considering the type of riding you'll be doing. If it involves very technical rocky descends and a few jumps here and there, the VT will be the ticket, but if you're looking for a more XC oriented platform then I'd go with the FSR from Specialized. Consider also if you really get into trail riding, in the long run, the VT may be a better choice. I love mine and It's nowhere close to the specs of the original, much better in my opinion but I can do a 10 mile climb with no problem. BTW... I had a Psylo prior to the Minute and those are one of the best forks Rock Shox made in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i just moved from boston this spring. some on this forum may tell you that you should first purchase a hardtail to improve your skills, and i am sure they are right. but i gotta tell you, riding an ht on the rocky, rooty, bouldery trails of new england can be tough. i say go straight to the FS, it will definitely be a more enjoyable experience. besides, you're gonna end up buying an FS eventually, right?

i had the 2004 stumpjumper fsr (one step up from the fsrxc) before selling it on e-bay and getting my 575. the fsrxc is a great bike for the price, but the one common theme with all specializeds is the low bottom bracket. it is gonna annoy the hell out of you always smashing your pedals on the many rock gardens that plague new england trails (i miss rockgardens tho, now living in sandy michigan).

check this out, found it on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7151470668&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

compared to the fsrxc, and for less than $1200 shipped, you can get a slightly better spec'd 2004 Marin Rock Springs (msrp $1800), more travel (100 to 120mm in the front, 4", 5", or 6" in the rear), adjustable travel for the front and rear, a well designed frame (hear the quad-link is nice), and a better fork than the fsrxc you're looking at.

do some research, see what's out there, and good luck.

ant

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Buy the one that fits your riding style and terrain.

If you want a cushy ride capable of taking drops and trial riding abuse go with the VT, if you'll be riding on fireroads with some rocks and roots and may be racing then go with the FSR.

The VT is a bit on the heavy side (mine is ~29#) and have no complains about it, off course mine was built by me so the parts specs are different from a stock VT. The only thing that I don't like is that the VT is a tall bike but depending on the terrain that might be an advantage.

My .02

Here's mine

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
i'm going to generally agree with what alot of people are saying on the board. The VT2 is going to be a better trailbike, more sturdy, and if want to ride some of the more technical trails with more comfort and perhaps more confidence the VT2 is gonna be the choice.
I'd also say that hands down the Specialized suspension design if superior to the VT. Like all specialized bikes your FSR has the tried and true horst link, that paired with a platform shock really pedals efficiently. The platform shock is the only thing keeping the VT design from bobbing like a cheap hooker.

All that being said i do know for a fact the VT design does descend better than the FSR, but i also know for a fact the FSR will out mountain goat the VT by far up the hills.

The point about the low bottom bracket is a valid point and should seriously be taken under consideration. i now own a 04 Specialized Enduro and i had that problem, but luckily for me that frame comes with a "flip link" which can be flipped to raise the bottom bracket and steepen the head angle. Rides ALOT better in this mode.
The VT rides high.

Also a few more negative things that need to be taken under consideration on the VT. i owned a 02 and within a year i blew up 3 bearing points, broke one pivot bolt (too much ring not enough shank), and went thru 2 sets of shock bushings. Giant warrantied most of it but still it's a hassle, and this bike isn't as tough as people give it credit for, since the design really puts alot of load on the shock linkage. i don't remember which year upgraded to a beefier bearing bar, the 03 or 04 but still it's not that great of a frame design at all which is why it's been discontinued. And since it's discontinued as time goes on, parts for the bike will be harder to come by, BUT Giant is pretty good about warranties, they "might" take care of you for a good long while.

Specialized has gotten expensive for their 05 models but if you can find a 04 Enduro close out deal still i'd jump on that for sure. Also if you like Giant check out the Riegn 3 and Trance 3, affordable bikes with decent components. They MSRP for 1600 i'm sure you can find an LBS to work a deal on one of those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey

I happen to be at a Giant Dealer ship, So dont buy the VT ( they dont make them anymore for the 05 season) Choose a Riegn 3 or 2 <-- way better value for the dollar..

Specialized is also about to put the enduro to rest too.... its been around too long and has had alot of issues will the more agro riders.. ( thats my opinion not based on anything from specialized) is based on knowing that most full suspension bikes only last a average of 3 years on the market before being replaced. So buy current stay current!

so for the VT and Enduro "RIP"

oh 30lbs is just rite for a bike so dont let all the mullets tell you thats heavy,

Light = Weak.

But over all buy what makes you happy!

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
I think the VT was discontinued because Giant wanted to have all their FS bikes with the new Maestro suspension, not because there was anything specially bad with their models.

Regarding the Enduro, Specialized just upgraded that bike, so it will still continue for a longer time, but I think it is now a heavier bike than the 2004 model line (although it will keep selling some low line models).

I have a 04 Stumpjumper FSR and I think this bike rocks! I live in Mexico and have gone through some wild terrain on it. Although it has a relatively low travel (4' or so), I think it has worked fine. I found a deal last october at 1,150 in Dallas. I don't know about the FSR XC though.

I somewhat think on buying a new bike (I think I'm not alone on this , he hehehe), but it will be maybe for december, let's see how it turns out.

I think that the bikes you're thinking are very good. Happy riding :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I agree thats why the AC( agro/freeride) move to the warp DS 1( rec ) spot. also at a all time low $950... If the VT was so great why wouldnt it take the place of the Warp DS1 huh?

But remember buy what you want...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.