Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 700 lb spring sitting here from a 2003 vanilla R shock

I also have a DHX with a 600 lb spring. Looking at the 2003 coil it appears to be a different diameter. Is this true?

Will it fit onto the DHX without damage?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,958 Posts
Don't do it. Even if you were able to get it on the shock body, a lot of times springs flex a bit in one direction and it will destroy the shock body. I did this with a stratos spring and a vanilla rc. The spring fit on there no problem, but there wasn't enough clearance to account for the spring moving sideways a little bit. The DHX body is bigger than the vanilla's, and the spring is consequently larger. Do not use a vanilla spring on the DHX.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jayem said:
Don't do it. Even if you were able to get it on the shock body, a lot of times springs flex a bit in one direction and it will destroy the shock body. I did this with a stratos spring and a vanilla rc. The spring fit on there no problem, but there wasn't enough clearance to account for the spring moving sideways a little bit. The DHX body is bigger than the vanilla's, and the spring is consequently larger. Do not use a vanilla spring on the DHX.
OK that's what I thought. Thanks.

Do I have to order special springs? I looked online and could only find "Fox" springs and nohing DHX specific. Are all the newer ones DHX compatible?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
SpawningGround said:
OK that's what I thought. Thanks.

Do I have to order special springs? I looked online and could only find "Fox" springs and nohing DHX specific. Are all the newer ones DHX compatible?
Best advice call Fox and order direct. In the end you'll end up paying the same, sometimes even less, than if you ordered online or from a shop. Plus you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you got what you needed without any hassles.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jayem is correct, the ID of the Vanilla spring is the exact same size as the DHX shock body. Your shock wouldnt work very well that way + shave the body down to make it lighter :cool:.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts