Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 XL Blur that came with a 5th Element Air. I didn't like the feel of the 5th and wanted to try a Fox. I tried a 2004 Fox Propedal RL. The Propedal RL feels a little harsh on small bumps so a friend gave me a great deal on his backup 2003 Float AVA R (non-propedal version). The shock has been sitting in a box for about 9 months. When the rebound is any more than 3-4 clicks from the fasting setting (full open), I notice a slight 'shooshing' sound from the the shock when it extends. Is this normal? Also, I wanted to see if the sound was more apparent at the slowest setting so I put the rebound at it's slowest setting (16 clicks full in) and the shock wouldn't even compress!! Is this normal?

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
MCF said:
I have a 2004 XL Blur that came with a 5th Element Air. I didn't like the feel of the 5th and wanted to try a Fox. I tried a 2004 Fox Propedal RL. The Propedal RL feels a little harsh on small bumps so a friend gave me a great deal on his backup 2003 Float AVA R (non-propedal version). The shock has been sitting in a box for about 9 months. When the rebound is any more than 3-4 clicks from the fasting setting (full open), I notice a slight 'shooshing' sound from the the shock when it extends. Is this normal? Also, I wanted to see if the sound was more apparent at the slowest setting so I put the rebound at it's slowest setting (16 clicks full in) and the shock wouldn't even compress!! Is this normal?
That shooshing sound is nitrogen or air got in with the oil, Something like that I was told...
My fox float RL does the same thing after afew months out riding. Only sending it back in gets it fixed.
Dunno about the not compressing thing. I'll see if my shock does that too later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperNewb said:
That shooshing sound is nitrogen or air got in with the oil, Something like that I was told...
My fox float RL does the same thing after afew months out riding. Only sending it back in gets it fixed.
Dunno about the not compressing thing. I'll see if my shock does that too later.
Well if it doesn't affect performance and it's just going to start doing it again in a couple months of riding, why bother getting it fixed?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It does affect performance.

When my Float R began to start hissing it also began to feel harsh and not respond as well to small bumps. It felt over all harsher. I sent it to Fox and got it rebuilt and it was a world better.

Steve Frew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.