Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 XL Blur that came with a 5th Element Air. I didn't like the feel of the 5th and wanted to try a Fox. I tried a 2004 Fox Propedal RL. The Propedal RL feels a little harsh on small bumps so a friend gave me a great deal on his backup 2003 Float AVA R (non-propedal version). The shock has been sitting in a box for about 9 months. When the rebound is any more than 3-4 clicks from the fasting setting (full open), I notice a slight 'shooshing' sound from the the shock when it extends. Is this normal? Also, I wanted to see if the sound was more apparent at the slowest setting so I put the rebound at it's slowest setting (16 clicks full in) and the shock wouldn't even compress!! Is this normal?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MCF said:
I have a 2004 XL Blur that came with a 5th Element Air. I didn't like the feel of the 5th and wanted to try a Fox. I tried a 2004 Fox Propedal RL. The Propedal RL feels a little harsh on small bumps so a friend gave me a great deal on his backup 2003 Float AVA R (non-propedal version). The shock has been sitting in a box for about 9 months. When the rebound is any more than 3-4 clicks from the fasting setting (full open), I notice a slight 'shooshing' sound from the the shock when it extends. Is this normal? Also, I wanted to see if the sound was more apparent at the slowest setting so I put the rebound at it's slowest setting (16 clicks full in) and the shock wouldn't even compress!! Is this normal?
btw, I weigh 220 lbs and run the shock at ~225lbs.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Blown!

Dude, It sounds like you have a blown shock! I had that very same problem earlier this year with my 5th Element. Send it to Fox for service, or check out PUSH for an upgrade....

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
MCF said:
Still have the 5th element air? I've been looking for a back up to the fox AVA shock.... if interested in selling, lemme know!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.