Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get some help and information here. There are still some '03 ETSX Frames out there and would love to join the ranks but I'm alittle nervous about the '03 model. The reviews seem to be pretty solid from the posters here but I was wondering if the '04's presented soo many upgrades that the '03's aren't worth my hard earned cash. I already have a "pro Pedal" rear shock so my concern mainly lies with the rear end link and hardware.

Could you help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, quite happy....

Molasses said:
I'm hoping to get some help and information here. There are still some '03 ETSX Frames out there and would love to join the ranks but I'm alittle nervous about the '03 model. The reviews seem to be pretty solid from the posters here but I was wondering if the '04's presented soo many upgrades that the '03's aren't worth my hard earned cash. I already have a "pro Pedal" rear shock so my concern mainly lies with the rear end link and hardware.

Could you help me out?

Thanks
I have an 03 model and my buddy has an new 04. At first I was put out because it seemed Rocky made a lot of nice upgrades. I weigh 180 and do not see any difference in stiffness. My buddy and I have swapped bikes for epic rides and I can't tell the difference. Infact, I don't like the propedal.... the design of the bike already has stable platform attributes, so I find his bike less compliant on the smaller bumps.

of course this is all IMHO. ;)

Jag

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
go for it

I have an 02 (same as 03) and the bike is great I have never noticed the flex in the rear end that others have talked about hear. I have rode one with a pro pedal shock but perfer the slightly more active feel of my regular shock. The frame designe dos not realy need any spv it is supper eficient and the spv or propedal just makes it feel rough on small bumps. I also like the look of the rad oval tubing on the 02-03 models better. I plan to keep this bike as long as posible just keep upgrading parts.

Hope you like yours just as much (if you get one)
:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
very happy

I'm just shy of 1000 miles on my 03 ETSX-30 and I'm still pleased with the performance and reliability of the suspension. I routinely check the linkage bolts for looseness and every thing is holding up maintainence free! That's saying alot since I rode this bike in the all winter and spring through snow and freezing rain.

The only problem that I've experienced that might be 03 frame related was slicing open my left ankle on the protruding front linkage bolt. It looks like the 04 bolts are of a different design and sit more flushly in the linkage. If the option ever exists I will upgrade to these newer style bolts in the future.

Personally I'm glad to have scored a fire engine red ETSX-30. The 04 colors do nothing for me, If I were you I'd spring for the white/polished etsx-70 frame. The ETSX design is a sweet ride, you won't be dissappointed!

Greg

·
old enough to know better
300 Posts
Thumbs Up to the '03

I have an '03 ETSX-70. Been raced. Been on epic length rides. No problems.

The more "industrial" look of the black linkage and non-flush bolts of the '03 appeal to me personally. Also, The '03 tubing maybe a more durable set than the slightly lighter '04.

If it is the right deal, I'd go for it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts