Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering trading a friend my Stinky for his 03 Specialized Enduro Expert. It has few minor upgrades such as 03 Z.1 Freeride, Race Face Evolve Cranks and 50mm DangerBoy stem. Now, the rest is stock as in XTR rear der, Shimano deore Brakes... Now, i know the wheelset is not up to urban/dj/mtx so the person whos bike it is weighs 80# :eek:. So it hasnt been abused... Any one know how the Durability of the frame is? That is my main question, and i dont have any money to upgrade because im in big debt from my Demo 9.

·
Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
323 Posts
The main trouble spot on that frame (I've got the 2003 Enduro Pro) appears to be the welded joint between the seat tube and the monocoque frame section.

Apparently they are quite prone to cracking there, and by the looks of it, mine is going there as well.

Having said that, if your buddy is the original owner, he could submit a warranty claim on your behalf, should something happen to it.

Other than that, the lower shock bushings don't last long because of their constant exposure to the crud coming off the rear wheel.

Still, I love the bike, and I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not too bad a review. I forgot to add that i will keep the wheelset off my Stinky and he will keep his... We were thinking that he would do the warrenty claim too, i really wouldent mind an 05 enduro :) As long as they gave me a new type one...

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
I say go for it. The old ones actually ride really sweet, I was gonna get one new from a local shop for cheap, but decided my DH bike is more important.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I owned a 2004 enduro for about 3 months. I loved the bike for trail riding, but thought it lacked in the "more aggressive" bike category... If you already own a demo then I would HIGHLY recommend this bike. The manitou swinger 4 way coil or air fits nicely. I liked the bike alot better with a coil and you can up the travel and change the geometry to be a little slacker. Go to the specialized forum and search for rear shock upgrades. You need a little variety too... Demo 9 for aggressive/hardcore riding and the Enduro for Trail/Epic Riding. You would be set... unless you are like me and have to have a squishy and hardtail (heckler and chameleon)... Hence the fact that I no longer own an Enduro... But if I had even more time to ride (and the money) I would own an enduro...

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually Dj'd it for a few hours. Super easy to get in the air, i x-uped it in my first 5 trys (fully clicked, 180*...) and hit that gap that i posted about a month ago and almost flat tabled it... Hmmm, i still think it might be better to go for a different trade seeing as id like to push my 180's to 360's and i dont think the bike can take really landing sideways. I seem to recall WCH breaking his in 4 months...

·
Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
323 Posts
Ummm, yeah....

Red Bull said:
I actually Dj'd it for a few hours. Super easy to get in the air, i x-uped it in my first 5 trys (fully clicked, 180*...) and hit that gap that i posted about a month ago and almost flat tabled it... Hmmm, i still think it might be better to go for a different trade seeing as id like to push my 180's to 360's and i dont think the bike can take really landing sideways. I seem to recall WCH breaking his in 4 months...
....this is probably taking it beyond it's designed parameters of operation. ;)

You might want to consider something else. :p

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
The Enduro definately can't take landing sideways - or landing at all for that matter. I am 110lbs and I bent the shock link on my enduro doing max 3' drops. The bent link caused the float to fail. I got Fox to give me a new shock but Specialized wouldn't give me a new frame or even rear link part. If you are going to be doing anything besides xc on it you should look elsewhere.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
It's an xc bike.

I've got an 03 pro that I've ridden hard for over two years with no problems..................as an xc bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.