Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have or can direct me to a copy of the 2003 RMB catalogue?

Picked up an '03 Stratos for the missus and I soon should have a '03 ETSX-70 in the stable for myself.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sweet! :thumbsup: thanks rockyuphill for the screen caps.

yeah i found epinon and bikepedia specs for both bikes. thought maybe the catalogue might have more information or details.

do you know if the 03 etsx frame was more prone to failure than later year revisions? kind of curious why they went from the varying diameter tubing for the top/down tube to straight diameter tubing after one year.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The 2003 ETSX's did seem to have more of the seat tube failures than later versions, although it's not easy to tell from forum posts how the percentages compare. If you're buying a used one, spend the time to check the seat tube around the suspension pivots and the top tube near the seat tube junction area for cracks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunately it's not a local transaction. the seller has taken some additional pics per my request of the frame and weld areas at the rear suspension. from what i can tell it looks good, but as they are only pics, you can only see so much. fingers are crossed that the frame is in perfect condition with no hair line cracks when it reaches me.

i really like the look of the '03 etsx frames, especially the etsx-70 with the white and raw aluminum, hence why i'm taking the risk on this purchase. i fell in love with it the sec i saw one in the gallery here. i believe the user is ViperEX or something like that.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The nice thing is the bare aluminium areas will show signs of cracks before a painted frame. And it's not like they all failed, I had a 2004 ETSX-70 that I rode for 3 years and sold the frame in pristine shape to buy a 2007 ETSX with the carbon swingarm.

Just make sure you have enough seatpost length to have the bottom of the post below the lowest point on the top tube where it meets the seat tube.

·
Registered
832 Posts
ViperEX is a reputable guy, trust him when he says the bike is in mint condition. I remember his build up, it was a super nice bike. My guess is that one day that frame will break on you, consider that in the price as there will be no warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kris said:
ViperEX is a reputable guy, trust him when he says the bike is in mint condition. I remember his build up, it was a super nice bike. My guess is that one day that frame will break on you, consider that in the price as there will be no warranty.
oh no, don't get me wrong. i'm not buying his bike off him! :lol: his posts about his bike is where i first saw the 2003 etsx-70 and made me want the same year/model frame!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.