Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited a used, 2002 Z1 FR which I will use on a Titus Swithblade with 5.25" rear rockers. The 2002 model has 30mm stantions instead of 32mm like the current model. I have a 30mm Marzocchi air cap and was wondering if I can convert one side to air, like the current MX series.

Anyone know if this would work? Which side ? How ? Help ????? - Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
jbf said:
I just inherited a used, 2002 Z1 FR which I will use on a Titus Swithblade with 5.25" rear rockers. The 2002 model has 30mm stantions instead of 32mm like the current model. I have a 30mm Marzocchi air cap and was wondering if I can convert one side to air, like the current MX series.

Anyone know if this would work? Which side ? How ? Help ????? - Thanks
You have to have the air cap for the cartidge forks (like the atom or marathon)... then it's as simple as taking that preload knob off, the e-clip, unscrewing the cap removing the spring, and putting the other on in the same way. The caps from the non-cartridge forks (dj or mxc/r) will not work.

Now, you will have to play with the oil level to get the bottoming/supple travel working for you... that's where the challenge will be.

Let us know how it turns out.

(Disclaimer - I have not done this on those model years... it's is speculation, although I think it will work... someone may know otherwise)

·
Registered
868 Posts
jbf said:
the air cap goes on? Thanks
Not sure... probably doesn't matter as long as the cartridge parts fit through the same holes in the center of the cap... I would prefer that it were on the hcsv side, because i really don't want to play with the oil level on the ETA side.

I'll try it if I every get around to playing with my z1. Currently the 888 on my VP-Free is more interesting to me....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.