Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on picking up a 2002 Specialized Enduro Pro FSR today for $500. He was wanting more but is moving and wants to get rid of it. I live in Colorado on the front range, and am just getting into mountian biking. I just moved here but have a couple friends that are into it that live on the west range. I will be doing DH, trails and about anything there is. I figure this is a great bike for that and the price. If I truly figure out what I like most about biking I can always upgrade in a year and probably get my money back right? Is this a good deal and a good bike for what I want?? Thanks for the help, any advise is appreciated!!

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
That's where I got hooked on the Enduro, I bought a 2004 Pro with crappy components, but really had a great time riding it.

I quickly discovered that the upgrades I wanted to make would bring me close to the price of a new one, so I unloaded it on Craigslist and saved a little for an Enduro SL. (I actually bought a used '06 Enduro in between, but couldn't stop thinking about the test ride I took on the SL).

At $500, you can probably get all of your money back if you end up hating it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
e-bo-b said:
That's where I got hooked on the Enduro, I bought a 2004 Pro with crappy components, but really had a great time riding it.

I quickly discovered that the upgrades I wanted to make would bring me close to the price of a new one, so I unloaded it on Craigslist and saved a little for an Enduro SL. (I actually bought a used '06 Enduro in between, but couldn't stop thinking about the test ride I took on the SL).

At $500, you can probably get all of your money back if you end up hating it.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm kinda lost when it comes to bikes for now. Been doing tons of research, I'm so pumped to just get out on the trails!!
Question: It says large components.. I'm 5'10" 155lbs. do you think it will be to big?

·
Registered
194 Posts
neuler said:
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'm kinda lost when it comes to bikes for now. Been doing tons of research, I'm so pumped to just get out on the trails!!
Question: It says large components.. I'm 5'10" 155lbs. do you think it will be to big?
I'm 5'9.5", and use a Large 04 enduro with 90 mm stem and thomson layback seatpost.
JC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good deal, well I'm picking it up tomorrow. Really stoked to get it and get out on a trail this weekend! Any suggestions to what I should look for on the bike before handing over the hard cash?

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Mine had a lot of creaking at the pivots, and while it didn't effect the rideability, it was awfully distracting on the climbs. Take time to ride it around and really compress the suspension. Also check the functionality of the suspension component adjustments like compression, rebound, and travel adjust on both the fork and shock to make sure it actually works.

Any discrepencies, of course, are haggling points.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Do a search on here for cracked enduros. IIRC, there was an issue with cracking aroudn the seatpost tube/eyelets on the frame for the shock mount.
Check all areas of welds for hairline cracks.
Check wheels for trueness. Check for dings/dents/scratches that are indicative of larger problems.
Find out when the suspension and drivetrain was last serviced.
Check function of shifters and brakes.
Check tire condition...

the list goes on. Cracks are the biggest issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys you don't know how much I appreciate this! I don't know much about this stuff and it really helps to help a new guy out! Any other thoughts keep them coming.... I did read where a couple guys with the 02's broke and they got free 04 frames but I'm sure you have to be the original owner. Also there is a recal but I'm not sure for what... I will look into.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
neuler said:
Thanks guys you don't know how much I appreciate this! I don't know much about this stuff and it really helps to help a new guy out! Any other thoughts keep them coming.... I did read where a couple guys with the 02's broke and they got free 04 frames but I'm sure you have to be the original owner. Also there is a recal but I'm not sure for what... I will look into.
I would certainly take into account the weight of the rider and the type of riding it saw. I did a search for "crack enduro" on the Specialized forum and man, those were some rice krispy frames. A local here, bear, who was a clyde at the time went thru 5 of them.

I would go thru all those posts and look at pics of where the cracks happened so that you know where to look!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CharacterZero said:
I would certainly take into account the weight of the rider and the type of riding it saw. I did a search for "crack enduro" on the Specialized forum and man, those were some rice krispy frames. A local here, bear, who was a clyde at the time went thru 5 of them.

I would go thru all those posts and look at pics of where the cracks happened so that you know where to look!
Thanks for the info and the link... Man I'm kind of leery about buying it now. I guess I will just have to quiz him and really look over the bike good. I read that the life span of aluminum frames is about 7 years, just this seem right?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
The extension on that seatpost is the biggest worry to me - think of the leverage he was generating on that seatpost mast.

What RS fork is that up front?

I am not trying to scare you off or kill your stoke or anything, just trying to make sure you make an informed decision. For ever report of a broken frame here on mtbr, there are probably 5 out there that didn't brake.

edit: looking thru your local CL, I would say that the market runs a bit higher than austin. surprising to see some of those prices. In that market, I think what he is asking is fair, and it really comes down to the the condition of the bike. If you aren't comfortable, don't get it, or take a buddy by to see it with you that has a better idea.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/716585800.html is a great deal, if not stolen or a scam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CharacterZero said:
The extension on that seatpost is the biggest worry to me - think of the leverage he was generating on that seatpost mast.

What RS fork is that up front?

I am not trying to scare you off or kill your stoke or anything, just trying to make sure you make an informed decision. For ever report of a broken frame here on mtbr, there are probably 5 out there that didn't brake.

edit: looking thru your local CL, I would say that the market runs a bit higher than austin. surprising to see some of those prices. In that market, I think what he is asking is fair, and it really comes down to the the condition of the bike. If you aren't comfortable, don't get it, or take a buddy by to see it with you that has a better idea.

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/716585800.html is a great deal, if not stolen or a scam.
Yeah that would be nice, but after building that bike up, I would be way out of my budget. Maybe next year after I have a year under my belt and have more knowledge about this stuff. I asked the guy about the fork and his weight, I'll let you know when he shoots me a reply email. I will have to look thru craigslist today, haven't checked for any new deals yet.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
neuler said:
Yeah that would be nice, but after building that bike up, I would be way out of my budget. Maybe next year after I have a year under my belt and have more knowledge about this stuff. I asked the guy about the fork and his weight, I'll let you know when he shoots me a reply email. I will have to look thru craigslist today, haven't checked for any new deals yet.
Right on, I thought I saw a fork listed with it, but nope! Sorry bout that.

Another thing is to check the amount of seatpost that was normally inserted into that tube. It should have wear marks on the post to show you how it was normally ridden. Spec. specifies the amount of post you have to have in there...

Well, keep up the search, this one isn't ruled out yet though!

edit: BTW, what is budget? $500?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CharacterZero said:
Right on, I thought I saw a fork listed with it, but nope! Sorry bout that.

Another thing is to check the amount of seatpost that was normally inserted into that tube. It should have wear marks on the post to show you how it was normally ridden. Spec. specifies the amount of post you have to have in there...

Well, keep up the search, this one isn't ruled out yet though!
Yeah its worth at least checkin it out in person. I'm going to check the frame really well for any stress cracks at all. I'm figuring the more seatpost inserted the better. Well I feel much better going to check this bike out now that you guys have given me some good info.
Hopefully I'll be hittin up some trails this weekend, but if not I'll wait for the right deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah $500 is budget.... leaving in about 30 to check out the bike. I will have additional funds here and there to buy additional stuff for riding. Any last words of wisdom before I head out? I'm going to check all the stuff you advised. Oh and about the previous owners... the first owner baught a couple road bikes and a the specialized. Was over weight and did not use much at all. Ended up getting a stomach tuck and no longer wanted bikes... sold to friend/current owner who says its in great shape did not use much on trails and is now moving and has no use for it. Said he has never had any problems with bike and looks like new. I guess i'll find out soon.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
neuler said:
Yeah $500 is budget.... leaving in about 30 to check out the bike. I will have additional funds here and there to buy additional stuff for riding. Any last words of wisdom before I head out? I'm going to check all the stuff you advised. Oh and about the previous owners... the first owner baught a couple road bikes and a the specialized. Was over weight and did not use much at all. Ended up getting a stomach tuck and no longer wanted bikes... sold to friend/current owner who says its in great shape did not use much on trails and is now moving and has no use for it. Said he has never had any problems with bike and looks like new. I guess i'll find out soon.
You should be all set man. That looks like the Psylo was the stock fork on there, probly still that fork.
As for the seatpost, here is your guide: look at page 6 of this PDF (owner's manual for the bike)

Other than that, you are all set man. Frame shoudl fit well, especially after you drop that seat a bit and you can always shorten the reach to the bars with a shorter stem.

Go check it out!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CharacterZero said:
You should be all set man. That looks like the Psylo was the stock fork on there, probly still that fork.
As for the seatpost, here is your guide: look at page 6 of this PDF (owner's manual for the bike)

Other than that, you are all set man. Frame shoudl fit well, especially after you drop that seat a bit and you can always shorten the reach to the bars with a shorter stem.

Go check it out!
You are the MAN!! you ever got the owners manual for me! Yeah I would guess its the same fork.... this seems like the guy's parents have some $$$ and he never really got into Mountain Biking or used it much. So I don't think much got changed on the bike. I really hope it works out for the better. Thanks for the fast responce, I will keep you posted to how the visit goes. Hopefully I will have a bike in the back of my truck and can ride this weekend!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.