Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 x??? Shimano Octalink. Anyone know the correct spindle length? LX level crankset and FD. 113 is way too narrow and a 121 rubs the FD badly in the big ring or won't drop to the granny ring. My 2000 SL worked great with a 113. This one has me scratching my head. Found nothing at the SC website and LBS was no help when I was there. I can get a 118mm but would like another opinion. Would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do you still have the original bottom bracket? Generally spindle lengths can vary between bikes and can even be different on the same bike between models. It's not common but some bikes can even require different spindle lengths (offset) on each side.

The only way I know of to be sure is to check the original bb. All the dimensions needed for correct replacements are on there:-

·
Registered
576 Posts
68 x??? Shimano Octalink. Anyone know the correct spindle length? LX level crankset and FD. 113 is way too narrow and a 121 rubs the FD badly in the big ring or won't drop to the granny ring. My 2000 SL worked great with a 113. This one has me scratching my head. Found nothing at the SC website and LBS was no help when I was there. I can get a 118mm but would like another opinion. Would appreciate any help.
A simple and cheap solution is to use bb spacers.
If your 113mm is too narrow than stick a 2,5mm spacer between the frame shell and the bb on the driveside.
If that ist still not enough you can add another spacer.

I bought this set here a while ago for my Octalink crankset.
Spacers

·
wannabee
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you still have the original bottom bracket? Generally spindle lengths can vary between bikes and can even be different on the same bike between models. It's not common but some bikes can even require different spindle lengths (offset) on each side.

The only way I know of to be sure is to check the original bb. All the dimensions needed for correct replacements are on there:-

View attachment 1912508
Guess I should have mentioned the frame had no BB when I purchased it. I've built 50+ bikes in the past. Thanks just the same.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned the frame had no BB when I purchased it. I've built 50+ bikes in the past. Thanks just the same.
Ah I see, that makes sense. Suppose that's going to be a tricky one. Never seen that kind of info on a spec sheet for any bike. Apologies for the totally useless advise @giantbikeboy 🤦‍♂️

1 - 5 of 5 Posts