Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rainier Chainrings

[Sorry man, but you will need to change all the crankset, first place the chainrings are welded and they can´t be replaced. and worst of all the bottom bracket is taper square so you´ll have a hard time finding a crankset like that. The crankset from Giant is about $60, so its not worth it to pay that amount for a low end crankset. I replaced the crankset for a shimano splined bottom bracket and an LX crankset, a more costly option but all the problems solved.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warp2003 said:
You'd rather go for a Shitmano Deore crankset. It's cheap and reliable. Lighter than Giant's. Get the Octalink BB and off you go. You'll forget about yout cranks.
Thanks for the advice, I wound up taking the bike to the LBS and the shop had a LX crankset and slined bottom bracket for a good price. So I will be picking it up tommorow and will hopfully be able to test it before saturday.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Warp2003 said:
You'd rather go for a Shitmano Deore crankset. It's cheap and reliable. Lighter than Giant's. Get the Octalink BB and off you go. You'll forget about yout cranks.
My '02 came with the Deore crank :D

Oh Canada!
Our home and native land...

But yes, an upgrade to Deore/LX is probably a good choice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.