Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Jekyll 1000 and I feel the front end is extremely light and on climbs the bike tends to wonder left to right. Has anyone had a similiar issue, If so any suggestions on how to correct this. A different stem, handle bars? etc. Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
GJEKYLL said:
I have a 2002 Jekyll 1000 and I feel the front end is extremely light and on climbs the bike tends to wonder left to right. Has anyone had a similiar issue, If so any suggestions on how to correct this. A different stem, handle bars? etc. Input is appreciated.
someitmes if you handle bars have too much rise, it will cause any bikes front end to come up or jum aorund on you. Here are your otpions,

climb on the tip of your saddle so that all your weight is up front(this is not really that best thing if you are doing a really loose climb as the less weight on the rear tire will result in less traction)

try a lower rise in your bars, or switch to a flat bar. if you don't like a flat bar try a flat bar with bar ends. that should help.

how steep are the grades that you are climbing, that may have something to do with it as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
response

The hills can get pretty steep, I have an old super v and I feel I climbed alot better on that than I do my jekyll. Just trying to find out what other people thought. I climbed the same hills on both bikes and I seem to struggle on the jekyll.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
the jekyll has much more suspension which equals higher front end than a super v, like the previous post said just get your butt on the tip of your saddle, even put a little rearward pressure on it this helps with rear wheel traction while you keep your upper body low and over the front of your handle bars this keeps your front end down, peddle smooth and strong dont hammer or you will lose traction, here is a cool tip, twist both handle bar grips backwards hard like if your twisting the throttle on a motorcycle this little technique will help keep the rear from losing traction, put this all together it takes some practice, before you know it you will be up that hill with out your front end coming up or wandering...ps i went from a super v 1000, to a jekyll 800, and now currently a prophet 1000 with spv. i noticed the samethings your saying with my bikes and i found since my jekyll had so much more travel than the super v, i had to try and ride smoother because all the suspension bob, you may not see it or feel it buy its there, i dont have this problem now since my prophet has spv front and rear....

·
Registered
127 Posts
GJEKYLL said:
The hills can get pretty steep, I have an old super v and I feel I climbed alot better on that than I do my jekyll. Just trying to find out what other people thought. I climbed the same hills on both bikes and I seem to struggle on the jekyll.
rotate your wrist slightly so you knuckles are pointing up , pull DOWN on the bar when you start your climb , keep your shoulder tigh , keep your eyes a few feets ahead of your front wheel and keep seated .. try it and see if this helps .. let me know how it goes ; )

·
Salt of the Earth
117 Posts
One other tip from a Jekyll owner...

GJEKYLL said:
Being that it is a Jekyll, the head angle is adjustable via the shock / mount cradle. Rotate the adjuster ring so it is headed to the back of the bike (shock moves forward).

If you are riding it all the way slack, try winding it up a bit... even a degrees of steepness on the head angle can make a huge difference in terms of keeping the front end from wandering as much.

Feel free to ignore this if you already gave it a try...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.