Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Hardrock frame and am thinking of building it up for AM abuse as a project. Then I'll ride her until she breaks. I have a question: and I know I should ask Specialized about this, but does anyone know if putting a 130mm fork, say, on this frame that originally had 80mm will compromise/stress the frame out?

And what other goodies should I put on here in terms of wheels and stem to go with this old hardtail? Fork? Crank?

I'd like to stay under $1500 overall.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
And to answer your first question, yes, 130mm on a 80mm frame will probably not be good for the bike.

For a good AM HT frame: do you want a FR type frame? long travel type? do you want a complete, or a build?

Matt

·
Registered
206 Posts
you can get a giant stp for under a 1000 and they are sweet bikes too

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
Maybe I should elaborate a little. If you have the cheese to drop $1500 worth of parts into your old frame, go for it. I find mself building a re-building my various frames, and never quite get them to a point that i like, and I waste alot of money doing it.

However, if I were you, and this was a secondary bike, I would buy used bits such as the fork, cranks and what have you. Maybe top your budget out at 500 rather than 1500 and still have a pretty nice rig.

I would look at Giant's STP as noted above, the Jamis line of HT's (Komodo) and possibly one of the few Ironhorse HT slobs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You want to drop 1500 into a Hardrock???
What's wrong with you? Get a P 2 or P3 or something better.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
madgeronimo said:
I've got a 2002 Hardrock frame and am thinking of building it up for AM abuse as a project. Then I'll ride her until she breaks. I have a question: and I know I should ask Specialized about this, but does anyone know if putting a 130mm fork, say, on this frame that originally had 80mm will compromise/stress the frame out?

And what other goodies should I put on here in terms of wheels and stem to go with this old hardtail? Fork? Crank?

I'd like to stay under $1500 overall.
The Hardrock can take a lot of abuse. I really doubt that you can break it

This one is still ticking:

http://thevishfiles.com/thevishfiles.wmv

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I came across this photo on another forum, thought it would probably interest you. The guy only had those forks there temporarily for some reason - off his dh rig or something. Anyway looks crazy!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
energetix said:
I came across this photo on another forum, thought it would probably interest you. The guy only had those forks there temporarily for some reason - off his dh rig or something. Anyway looks crazy!

Looks like it was a snowy day. :eekster:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts