Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...been running it full 650b since mid September, finally splurged for some bling.

DT240s hubs with Stans ZTR 355 rims, rear is Quasi 2.0, front Neo 2.35 (had been running Neo 2.35 F/R on XT/Velocity wheels) - shaved some weight, made room in back and running tubeless.

Fork is 2003 TALAS 32 set 4 clicks from bottom (~ 92mm, 3mm per click), the rear link is in the 4.5" travel setting so should still be in the 70-70.2 HT angle range. Didn't measure BB height but seems to be close to factory specs for 4.5" rear/100mm front (~ 13") - can't beat an adjustable platform like the Switchblade for playing with wheels!

Lots of room in back...

...and I already know the front is money.

PS the wheels and tires also fit my Salsa La Cruz so ... pics of that monster will follow maybe after the weekend :thumbsup:

· clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...gratuitous cell phone pics from yesterday's ride...

no defects, rides like before just FASTER - 27.3 pounds on the scale as ridden so shaved 1/4 pound versus the 26er setup with Crossmax wheels and Kenda Nevegals.

DT bolt on skewers came with the eBay wheel score

Top of Mt Tam on Sunday AM - almost balmy, hated to have to bomb back down into the cold mist..

:thumbsup:

· clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MMcG said:
Would that possibly be a Switchblade that got a Quai-Moto rear end on it?
DOH! I finally "got" your question - thought you mean the tires ;) . The rear is stock Titus Switchblade, it's possible a lot of the parts are shared between the Quasi-Moto and the Switchblade as they used the same FSR design, but nothing was modded on this bike to get either the 2.35 or 2.0 setups to work.

· Registered
9,540 Posts
ericb49 said:
DOH! I finally "got" your question - thought you mean the tires ;) . The rear is stock Titus Switchblade, it's possible a lot of the parts are shared between the Quasi-Moto and the Switchblade as they used the same FSR design, but nothing was modded on this bike to get either the 2.35 or 2.0 setups to work.
Yeah the reason I asked is sometimes Titus would send out frames that had Switchblade fronts and Quasi-moto rear ends etc. etc.

My buddy used to ride a Quasi-Moto and he loved it. He got it in place of a Switchblade for the same price if I recall because back then 2002 or 2003 there were some type of problem with the Switchblades or something and Titus was using them for warranty replacement etc. So he couldn't get his Switchblade but instead they offered him up the Quasi-moto and he went with it.

Again - sweet bike. enjoy it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I have a 2005 SB. I have been considering a new 650b bike, but I love the SB and hated the idea of not ridding it anymore. Mine is the 5.5" travel version. Do you think the conversion to 650b would work for my 2005? Thanks!

· clunker
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should post some pics - your '05 should have the TALAS rear shock with the 5" link kit that allowed on the fly travel adjustment. My assumption is the wheels will fit, assuming the rear suspension is the same as the earlier frames and you have a 650b compatible fork. I have on occasion bumped the tire against the shock at full travel running my 5.75 kit and 26 x 2.1 tire, this could be more of an issue with 650b - only one way to be sure :D .

· Uncle
4,380 Posts
Man that is sweet.

jimriva said:
This is the final version of the 650B that Dan Nelson of NTP Bikes and myself designed and built. Dan is currently building another one for himself which will be a size bigger.
Dan does some nice work. When considering custom, I always think about saving up to get him to set me up with a 650b HT frame. But alas, I'm too poor at the moment (career shift suggestions welcome ;) ).

Question: Is that a 1.5" HT, or is it a low-stack / integrated type? I'm thinking it's a 1.5". If so, what's the logic? Not being critical, just curious.

Also, I'm guessing the "4" is for four inches of travel? Oh Oh!!! What's it weigh? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.