Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2001 Sugar 3 Disc with the original Cane Creek rear shock. I have a few questions...


1) I want to replace the rear shock when I get it. Can anyone tell me what size this shock is?

2) If anyone's swapped out to something they like better then the cane creek, it would be great to hear about that too.

3) Finally, this bike comes with a 80 mm front shock. I'm more used to 100 mm for xc riding. Has anybody swapped out the 80 for a 100? Does it significantly alter the geometry?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
squirrellyrabbit said:
1) I want to replace the rear shock when I get it. Can anyone tell me what size this shock is?
I have a Sugar but don't remember offhand. You have it - measure it. You need to know the "Eye-to-Eye" (shorthand: I2I) length - the distance between the center of the mounting holes at either end. And the "Stroke" length - the total distance the shock actually compresses. You can measure this by letting all the air out, compressing it to move the external ring up, then re-pumping it, and measuring the distance the ring is. But I think it's 1.5"

squirrellyrabbit said:
3) Finally, this bike comes with a 80 mm front shock. I'm more used to 100 mm for xc riding. Has anybody swapped out the 80 for a 100? Does it significantly alter the geometry?
I've been using a Fox Float in 100mm mode on my 2001 Sugar for a year - it's great. Check this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=43486
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Give the CC a run

Just a thought, seeing that I have an 02 Sugar 4+. Does it have the adjustable link? If so, run the cane creek in the 4.1 setting. It doesn't sound like it does if it came with an 80mm fork (it doesn't adjust to 100mm, does it?). The Cane Creek never ceases to amaze me. I am running the AD5, the lower end of the Cane Creeks, and when I put my weight in pressure in the chamber, the shock NEVER, and I mean NEVER bobs, in or out of the saddle. Before you change out the shock, give it a run. You may realize that the shock works great, and you can spend the money on another component upgrade, like the cranks and bb! Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

It's good to hear praise for the Cane Creek. I will definitely try it before going straight to aftermarket rear shocks! The 2001 Sugar does not have the link, so I'm not sure what difference that will make. Thanks for the feedback from both of you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
One more thing

The Cane Creek AD shocks are very easy to rebuild/relube. Cane Creek sells a kit directly from their website for about $30. Gets you all new seals and grease. Takes minimal tools and about an hour to do. The only non-standard tool needed is a pin spanner which costs no more than 5 bucks. It should be done about once a year, and the shock will be smooth like new.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
squirrellyrabbit said:
I just bought a used 2001 Sugar 3 Disc with the original Cane Creek rear shock. I have a few questions...

1) I want to replace the rear shock when I get it. Can anyone tell me what size this shock is?

2) If anyone's swapped out to something they like better then the cane creek, it would be great to hear about that too.

3) Finally, this bike comes with a 80 mm front shock. I'm more used to 100 mm for xc riding. Has anybody swapped out the 80 for a 100? Does it significantly alter the geometry?

Thanks in advance.
6.5 eye to eye and 1.5 inch stroke, I'm pretty sure. I've got an 01 Sugar 2. I'd stick with the cane creek. It is a nice shock, as far as air shocks go. Unless you're going to coil, which I've never seen anyone do on a sugar, you might as well put the cash elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
2002 Sugar 2

and I find the bike rides alot nicer with a float RL and 9mm sag , the shock has a fast rampup so I hardly bottom it out. it seems to track the ground better than the creek AD12 IMO
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top