Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

I have a shop over here in western NC who can do a service on my fork. Not sure what the going rate is on a fork service (seals and oil change), but I'd like to take a stab at it myself. How hard would it be and do I need any special tools?

Thanks

Sid

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,826 Posts
Evening all,

I have a shop over here in western NC who can do a service on my fork. Not sure what the going rate is on a fork service (seals and oil change), but I'd like to take a stab at it myself. How hard would it be and do I need any special tools?

Thanks

Sid
It's really simple, you need the correct oil, golden spectro or something, look it up, and then you need take off the top caps, rather, unbolt them. It's slightly more involved if you are taking off the top-caps, it's easy, basic mechanical stuff, but there's a reverse-threaded rod and the damping rod tends to fall into the fork, so you have to fish it out possibly, but it's not required to do this. Dump the oil one leg at a time into a container so you can measure it, put the same amount back in that came out, that simple. If replacing seals, you have to unbolt the top caps as explained above, there's an outer dust seal that can be pried off, use something blunt and work around it to not scratch anything, then there's an inner oil pressure seal held in by c-clip. Same thing, remove and be careful. Use PVC pipe to set new seals.

These are pretty stupid simple, as long as you have oil you shouldn't have to worry much, there's not really much to screw up.

I made this diagram:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.