Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 01 hardrock for cheap and I need to ditch the RST pos fork that's on there. A buddy of mine offered me an unused 2001 rock shox judy xc for $100. its the year they made the nice orange color. :rolleyes: anyway, I know this shock is subpar by many accounts, but I can't afford to spend $300+ on something of high quality right now. He got a bike in 2001 with the XC on it, upgraded it immediately and never used it, so I know its in good shape still.

I've read a few reviews saying that its designed for lightweight riders. I'm about 195, is this fork gonna bottom out on me constantly or only last me a year? I would say my usage forcast is once or twice a week on moderate mtn bike trails, at least until I can get up to a more intense regiment.

whaddya think?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Buy a used Marzocchi EXR Pro

IMO, you'd be better served by a used Marzocchi EXR Pro. It's dual coil, and unfortunately lacks a bit in the adjustments area, but should be a better choice than the Judy. Before someone flames me, yes, I know the EXR series is manufactured in China by Suntour, but it's still designed by Marzocchi. In this price range it's probably one of the best choices.

Clyde

·
Registered
168 Posts
Find another fork

I recently sold a barely used RS Duke XC, a better fork than the Judy, for $130. You can find a better used fork out there for roughly the same money. Check the classifieds here and on ridemonkey and something will pop up.

hoboscratch said:
I recently bought a used 01 hardrock for cheap and I need to ditch the RST pos fork that's on there. A buddy of mine offered me an unused 2001 rock shox judy xc for $100. its the year they made the nice orange color. :rolleyes: anyway, I know this shock is subpar by many accounts, but I can't afford to spend $300+ on something of high quality right now. He got a bike in 2001 with the XC on it, upgraded it immediately and never used it, so I know its in good shape still.

I've read a few reviews saying that its designed for lightweight riders. I'm about 195, is this fork gonna bottom out on me constantly or only last me a year? I would say my usage forcast is once or twice a week on moderate mtn bike trails, at least until I can get up to a more intense regiment.

whaddya think?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Is Judy XC worth a $100? no. Is it worth $50? no. ... Scour the net, get a used Manitou Black or Marzocchi MX Comp. You'll sure be able to eventually find one around a $100. Even better get a 2000, even earlier Marzocchi bomber, sure you'll find one for under a $100 and these things are bullet proof and smooth by today's standards! They were way ahead of the game back then.

_MK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.