Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bet riding on the line. A pair of cycling socks to be exact.

Who made the 2001 Schwinn Homegrown frames??

It is the anodized gold in a 15".

I know Yeti once built Homegrown frames, but was this one of them??

Thanks.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's from the Golden/Boulder area, which is where Yeti is located, and where they used to make their stuff. I have several homegrowns and recently ran into a few fellows riding in Boulder who used to work for Schwinn and said they were probably the ones who welded my 2001.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Logantri said:
I know Yeti once built Homegrown frames, but was this one of them??
Schwinn owned Yeti for a few years starting in the mid-90's, but they sold then around '97. Any Schwinns that were made in the Yeti factory would have come from that time period.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As I remember it, my 96 "Homegrown" was made by Control Tech, but a 96 "Homegrown Factory" would have been made by Yeti and painted in the bass boat colors. I think the Yeti/schwinn relationship ended with the 97 models and '01 was the first year for the N'lightened tube set, the integrated headset, and the new design and rumor has it they were made by Control Tech. I have a black ano one and the discbrake dropout is different than the later years. The high end ones were Homegrown Pro and Factory (I think) and were available in gold and black anno.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Control Tech frames

Wayndar said:
As I remember it, my 96 "Homegrown" was made by Control Tech, but a 96 "Homegrown Factory" would have been made by Yeti and painted in the bass boat colors. I think the Yeti/schwinn relationship ended with the 97 models and '01 was the first year for the N'lightened tube set, the integrated headset, and the new design and rumor has it they were made by Control Tech. I have a black ano one and the discbrake dropout is different than the later years. The high end ones were Homegrown Pro and Factory (I think) and were available in gold and black anno.
Wayndar, it sounds like you know a bit about CT frames. If you go to this link ..http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=249053 and scroll down there are several shots of one I recently bought. Any insights? It's tough finding any info on it..thanx

·
1,529 Posts
I've done an exhaustive amount of research on this. See my earlier thread about the mystery bass boat purple Homegrown.

In the end, the only conclusive thing I can come up with is that the ONLY Homegrown frames built by Schwinn were the ones between 96 and 99 that were stickered "Homegrown Factory." This was only the top of the line XTR model. I've been told a visual inspection of the welds shows this (good vs. poor), but I cant tell. A framebuilder might be able to though.

Now, I live in Durango, and i've talked to a couple people who were actually working in the factory during this time. The infastructure there was tiny, and there's no way they could have produced every Homegrown frame and all the Yeti stuff at the same time. Impossible. Again, only the race bikes for the team and the very top of the line models.

Now, a lesson to all you people throwing Homegrowns up on ebay... Don't say it was made in Durango just 'cause it's a Homegrown. I rode a Taiwanese 2000 Homegrown and it rode great.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
90% sure those versions where made at Anodizing Inc, now called Sapa Group (www.sapagroup.com). The first generation Specialized Sworks M4 was made on that same line.

·
No known cure
5,925 Posts
While not a Homegrown, here's a 13 inch NOS 1995 Anniversary Edition Schwinn S9Six. It will be built up for my youngest daughter. Notice the front derailluer cable stop. I'm sure it was tacked on at 4:59 on a Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Vader said:
While not a Homegrown, here's a 13 inch NOS 1995 Anniversary Edition Schwinn S9Six. It will be built up for my youngest daughter. Notice the front derailluer cable stop. I'm sure it was tacked on at 4:59 on a Friday.
:D Funny.I'm thinking my bike was built by the same guy early in the morning .My rear stays looked crooked but the bike tracked straight,

·
Registered
745 Posts
stan4bikes said:
Wayndar, it sounds like you know a bit about CT frames. If you go to this link ..http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=249053 and scroll down there are several shots of one I recently bought. Any insights? It's tough finding any info on it..thanx
Actually I don't know anything about CT- sorry. My info came from a friend at the time I bought my first Homegrown. AFAIK Control Tech was out of Oregon and the Homegrown frames were made there so they could still say Made in USA, but not be Yeti built. Someboday mentioned Annodizing Inc and that sounds familiar too- maybe that's the actual name of the company and Control Tech is their house brand. Only the very top of the line bass-boat Schwinns were made by Yeti. I think were also allowed to use the higher end Easton tubing. The revised dates sound correct also 95-99 for the original style frames and the new style started with 00. I have a 96 Homegrown and an 00 as well.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
The 2-tone bassboat "Factory" Homegrowns were the only ones built by Yeti. Those were either red/gold, or blue/silver. The same is true of the two-tone 4-Bangers and Straight-6/-8s of the day.

There were some single-tone bassboat Homegrowns from the same period (blue, gold, and redish brown), and, although they look pretty darn similar, were NOT built by Yeti. This is what I was told back in the day when I purchased my Factory. I still have it and,even though it's nearly 10 years old, it still rocks!

Here's my '99 4-Banger. Can't find a picture of the '98 Factory Homegrown while here at work.

Attachments

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Jeroen said:
90% sure those versions where made at Anodizing Inc, now called Sapa Group (www.sapagroup.com). The first generation Specialized Sworks M4 was made on that same line.
The 2000 and 2001 Homegrowns were all made at Annodizing Inc in Portland. Funny you mention the M4. M4 and Schwinn Enlightened Platinum tubing are the same tubing - 6069 aluminum.

In 2000, the gold anno, black anno, and orange painted ones were 6069. In 2001 it was the gold anno, black anno, and blue painted.

Here's an interesting fact - chances are that if you have a blue or orange painted bike, if you scrape the paint off, it will be black or gold anno underneath. You can't re-annodize a bike, so Schwinn had to do something with the color blems!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.