Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
reciently bought a used 2001 nrs xtc 1 on ebay. i checked out the giant page for measurements on random parts i need to pick up. giants website specs pages only go back to 2002. i need to find the seat post dia. that fits to this bike. if you happen to know a site i can look at for specs, or if you own one i could definetly use the help!! thanks, ben

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IJR said:
I'm pretty sure it's 27.2 using the factory supplied shim. Don't remember what it was without the shim
well... the shim wasnt sent along with it, but thanks for helping me out

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Check the Giant Forum

Crosspost the same question there, you'll probably get good info on where to get the shims or a seatpost that may actually be the right diameter without the shims.

Bob

·
Registered
878 Posts
More than likely it is a 30.8

My 2000 NRS came with a 27.2 post with a shim.
I replaced it with a Thomson 30.8 post.

The later NRS bikes I believe changed to the current 30.9 post.
But I don't know the year they changed.

For a 2001 model, my money would be on a 30.8 post for an "exact" fit

·
Registered
878 Posts
meloh1 said:
They changed to a 30.9 in 2004. Why would a 30.8 be an "exact" fit if Giant uses a 30.9? Not that .1mm would make a real difference.
The 30.8 post fits in my 2000 NRS "perfect" ie: will slide up and down with the
right amount of "stiction"

If I take the 30.9 post from my Reign, it will fit in the NRS, but with much more
"stiction" and really mark up the post.

I use a quick release seat binder on both of my bikes, so it is important to me to
have the correct diameter seat post.

The early NRS's were reamed for 30.8, but you can use a 30.9 just fine, especially
if you don't use a quick release ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So I'm still puzzled why Giant, the manufacturer of the bikes, specs and uses a 30.9 post when a 30.8 is a "perfect" fit? IMHO, as long as the post will slide into the seat tube, even though it sticks a little or causes some marks, it's a better fit. I understand the desire to adjust seat height, thus the quick release, but the 30.9 would seem to be the better of the two. Grease would be the solution to any stickiness, not a smaller post.

·
Registered
878 Posts
meloh1 said:
So I'm still puzzled why Giant, the manufacturer of the bikes, specs and uses a 30.9 post when a 30.8 is a "perfect" fit? IMHO, as long as the post will slide into the seat tube, even though it sticks a little or causes some marks, it's a better fit. I understand the desire to adjust seat height, thus the quick release, but the 30.9 would seem to be the better of the two. Grease would be the solution to any stickiness, not a smaller post.
Not sure why I'm responding to this, as I believe I stated my point above,
but on my 2000 xtc NRS, it came from the factory with a 27.2 seatpost,
and a shim that is clearly marked 27.2 to 30.8 and if I take my trusty digital
calipers, and measure the seatpost ID, I get 30.8

You stated in an above post that Giant changed to a 30.9 seatpost ID in 2004

The original poster has a 2001 frame, so I am assuming that it has been reamed for
a 30.8 seatpost ID.

Both a 30.8 and 30.9 seatpost will work in this frame - one will be a rather tight fit though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
meloh1 said:
I believe the size without the shim is 30.9. It's 27.2 with the shim.
Thanks alot for the help, looks like ill find out in a week or so when the new post gets here!! dont be supprised if you see more questions posted as i pick up stuff over the next couple weeks

ben

·
Registered
293 Posts
The seatpost size is 30.8mm without the shim(27.2 with the shim). That said, a 30.9mm thomson seatpost fits just fine as does a raceface XY in 30.9 size. My wife had an 2000 NRS for 3years and it had many overhauls done, by me, in that time. Just ask.

If you want to upgrade the rear shock to a cane creek AD-12, i have parts and info for you.
rear suspension bushings and bearings too.

laackund said:
Thanks alot for the help, looks like ill find out in a week or so when the new post gets here!! dont be supprised if you see more questions posted as i pick up stuff over the next couple weeks

ben

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
laackund said:

ben
Did you get the black medium with the red/white stickers, or the yellow/blue one? Just curious.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AndrewTO said:
Did you get the black medium with the red/white stickers, or the yellow/blue one? Just curious.
large frame; yellow with black at the head tube. just wondering if you know if i need a TP/bottom swing, or if TP/top swing will work? it doesnt look like there is alot of room for the front derailleur for clearance over the chainstay. ebay has some slim pickin for the bottom swing if thats what i need.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tcp said:
The seatpost size is 30.8mm without the shim(27.2 with the shim). That said, a 30.9mm thomson seatpost fits just fine as does a raceface XY in 30.9 size. My wife had an 2000 NRS for 3years and it had many overhauls done, by me, in that time. Just ask.

If you want to upgrade the rear shock to a cane creek AD-12, i have parts and info for you.
rear suspension bushings and bearings too.
thanks for the offer!! it came with the sid installed. its always nice to have a back up though... it depends what your asking price is, im probably going to be getting close to dipping into my rent $$ by the time i finish things up.

ben

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
laackund said:
large frame; yellow with black at the head tube. just wondering if you know if i need a TP/bottom swing, or if TP/top swing will work? it doesnt look like there is alot of room for the front derailleur for clearance over the chainstay. ebay has some slim pickin for the bottom swing if thats what i need.
I can only help as far as top pull. I don't know what swing you need. Soonest I can let you know is this weekend and i'm sure you'll have found out by then. Sorry.

EDIT - how's this to screw around with your mind? Here's a link to the NRS thread. Looks like people are using either. :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.