Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the xc race version of the i-drive with shorter chainstays, longer top tube, and (I guess) lighter frame wt.....offered first in 2001, but now offered on sale at Greenfish Adventure Sports for $550 for frame and Manitou QR shock, and various other options with Manitou forks/Cane Creek headsets. Site states frames made in 2004 at Kinesis USA (?Oregon). Don't know about warranty or replacement parts issues, but it looks like could be built up into a race-worthy vehicle. To make this more of an exercise, would ask GT affectionados to come on board and spec out a build that would come in under, lets say, $1800- $2400 maximum. (one build on the site listed is $1999). How would you build up this bike for racing and trail riding with todays parts? :cool:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I wouldn't. I have had nothing but problems with my I-drive. Too many to list here. I personally will never buy another one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IAmCosmo said:
I wouldn't. I have had nothing but problems with my I-drive. Too many to list here. I personally will never buy another one.
I, on the other hand loved my i-Drive Team frame. (Until it cracked!) Got mine from Supergo in December '01 and rode it for a year and a half. Put on just over 1000 miles on it. Not a lot, but plenty to know I liked it a lot. Well, the frame developed a crack right on weld, and the new owners of GT (Pacific Cycle LLC) would not honor the warranty. Asked me for $500 for a new rear triangle :mad: See my review under '2001 full suspension'. Anyhow, I'm now on a IronHorse Hollowpoint Expert and their customer service is second to none.

As for the frame you are looking at, I can attest that it is fast both in the climbs and descents, and handles great. It's relatively short amount of rear end travel makes it a very good race bike, and the price is $300 less than what I paid. Call Greenfish and get some more detail on the frame. ie. warranty and when was it really built. I'm guessing the rear shock was put on in 2004, but the frame was put together in 2001. I could be wrong thought. Let me know if you want pictures of my frame, I still have it.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
flybarry said:
I, on the other hand loved my i-Drive Team frame. (Until it cracked!) Got mine from Supergo in December '01 and rode it for a year and a half. Put on just over 1000 miles on it. Not a lot, but plenty to know I liked it a lot. Well, the frame developed a crack right on weld, and the new owners of GT (Pacific Cycle LLC) would not honor the warranty. Asked me for $500 for a new rear triangle :mad: See my review under '2001 full suspension'. Anyhow, I'm now on a IronHorse Hollowpoint Expert and their customer service is second to none.

As for the frame you are looking at, I can attest that it is fast both in the climbs and descents, and handles great. It's relatively short amount of rear end travel makes it a very good race bike, and the price is $300 less than what I paid. Call Greenfish and get some more detail on the frame. ie. warranty and when was it really built. I'm guessing the rear shock was put on in 2004, but the frame was put together in 2001. I could be wrong thought. Let me know if you want pictures of my frame, I still have it.
I loved mine too, for the short time that it lasted....

·
XCRACER
59 Posts
p0Ke'[email protected] said:
This was the xc race version of the i-drive with shorter chainstays, longer top tube, and (I guess) lighter frame wt.....offered first in 2001, but now offered on sale at Greenfish Adventure Sports for $550 for frame and Manitou QR shock, and various other options with Manitou forks/Cane Creek headsets. Site states frames made in 2004 at Kinesis USA (?Oregon). Don't know about warranty or replacement parts issues, but it looks like could be built up into a race-worthy vehicle. To make this more of an exercise, would ask GT affectionados to come on board and spec out a build that would come in under, lets say, $1800- $2400 maximum. (one build on the site listed is $1999). How would you build up this bike for racing and trail riding with todays parts? :cool:
I DID BUY A NEW I-DRIVE TEAM FROM GREENFISH ADVENTURE SPROTS. THE FRAME LOOKS GREAT. THE REASON I GOT IT IS BECAUSE MY I-DRIVE RACE FRAME CRACKED AND I ALWAYS WANTED A TEAM FRAME. I LOVED MY RACE FRAME AND AM SURE I WILL LOVE THIS ONE AS WELL. THE FRAME ARE THE SAME, USE THE SAME EASTON TUBING. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS ON THR TEAM FRAME THERE IS A GUSSET WHERE THE DOWN TUBE AND THE BENT TOP TUBE WELD TO THE BIG TUBE THAT HOLDS THE EXCENTRIC(THIS IS THE THING THAT THE BOTTOM BRACKET IS IN THAT FLOATS ON BEARINGS) EVEN WITH THIS GUSSET THE FRAMES DO WEIGHT THE SAME. I HAD ME OLD I-DRIVE RACE DOWN TO 24lbs 2oz SO I SHOULD BE AT THE SAME WEIGHT WITH MY NEW FRAME. I REPLACED THE MANITOU SHOCH WITH A NEW FOX RP3 SHOX WITCH IS LIGHTER. ALSO I AN GOING WITH SDG'S NEW I-FLY RAIL SEAT AND POST WITCH IS REALLY LIGHT. ANY WAY I WILL TRY TO POST A PHOTO WHEN I AM DONE BUILDING IT UP.

·
XCRACER
59 Posts
Gt I-drive Team Frame

I Talked To Greenfish Adventures Sprots About This Frame. It Was Made In 2004 By Kinesis Usa. Kinesis Usa Had Parts Left Over From Building These Frames In 2001. Pacific Cycle Gave Them The O.k. To Finish Building The Frames To Use Up The Malerial. I Also Taked To Kinesis Usa And They Said This Is What Happened.they Also Said That They Were Sorry That They Could Not Work With Gt To Develop This Frame Design More. So What You Get Is A New Frame Built In 2004, Not A Frame That Has Been Hidden In Some Warehouse Sence 2001.
I Got One And I Am Almost Finfshed Building It.i Will Post Photos.
Later

·
made in Oregon
142 Posts
Kinesis also owns Mountain Cycle and they are located here in Portland. It is possible the frames were finished in the MC factory.
I love my IDrive and use it for x country and freeriding. I put the 1.75" x 6.5" Fox on for 5.25" of rear travel with a Marzocchi Z1 fork

Nathan

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice!.....

and glad to see its in its rightful place in the kitchen ;) Looks like full racer mentality.Could you post the final build specs and weight? Also, any thoughts about Fox RP3 or SPV shocks vs. a more linear shock for this type suspension? Can you get a new frame warranty? (I think I know the answer to that one :( )

·
XCRACER
59 Posts
Bike Specs....

p0Ke'[email protected] said:
and glad to see its in its rightful place in the kitchen ;) Looks like full racer mentality.Could you post the final build specs and weight? Also, any thoughts about Fox RP3 or SPV shocks vs. a more linear shock for this type suspension? Can you get a new frame warranty? (I think I know the answer to that one :( )
Don't ask why its in the kitchen. The bike is full XTR with the the old style thumb shifters (witch I like), 2002 RockShox Sid SL, Avid Ti brakes and levers, Easton EC70 stem and CT2 bars with ATI Jackson grips. I am going to change these grips soon, maybe go with some ODI lock-on. SDG I-Fly I-Beam set and post system. I hand built the wheels myself and had my local shot to true them. They are built up with a set of GT cnc hubs (silver with a ti free wheel in the rear and very lite) DT 14/15 ga spokes and an old pair of Mavic 217 rims. I run Hutchinson Mosquito lite 2.0 tires with Stans No Tubes. I run Crank Brother egg beater pedals (witch are on my new Zaskar Expert bike right now). I just receive my new 2005 Sid Team fork and my new Crank Brothers Ti pedals, And I am going to be building up another set of wheels with another set of GT hubs and a set of Sun UFO rims (all black). The weight is 24lbs. 2oz. witch converts to 24.125 lbs. I dont know what the new fork pedals and wheels will do to the weight. As far as riding I leave the shock in full open. the bike seems to respond better on the rough stuff. I do put it on propedal on long semi smooth climbs, but perty much leave it full open. I do lock it out on the pavement. I love this bike. It is a screamer on single track and it climbs like a cougar (mountain lion). Well for me it does. As far as warranty I am going to go to the GT website and and fill out there warranty thing there, but the frame came with no papers. And yes of this frame brakes I would buy another. (if there are any left)

·
Registered
32 Posts
XCPRORACER said:
Don't ask why its in the kitchen. The bike is full XTR with the the old style thumb shifters (witch I like), 2002 RockShox Sid SL, Avid Ti brakes and levers, Easton EC70 stem and CT2 bars with ATI Jackson grips. I am going to change these grips soon, maybe go with some ODI lock-on. SDG I-Fly I-Beam set and post system. I hand built the wheels myself and had my local shot to true them. They are built up with a set of GT cnc hubs (silver with a ti free wheel in the rear and very lite) DT 14/15 ga spokes and an old pair of Mavic 217 rims. I run Hutchinson Mosquito lite 2.0 tires with Stans No Tubes. I run Crank Brother egg beater pedals (witch are on my new Zaskar Expert bike right now). I just receive my new 2005 Sid Team fork and my new Crank Brothers Ti pedals, And I am going to be building up another set of wheels with another set of GT hubs and a set of Sun UFO rims (all black). The weight is 24lbs. 2oz. witch converts to 24.125 lbs. I dont know what the new fork pedals and wheels will do to the weight. As far as riding I leave the shock in full open. the bike seems to respond better on the rough stuff. I do put it on propedal on long semi smooth climbs, but perty much leave it full open. I do lock it out on the pavement. I love this bike. It is a screamer on single track and it climbs like a cougar (mountain lion). Well for me it does. As far as warranty I am going to go to the GT website and and fill out there warranty thing there, but the frame came with no papers. And yes of this frame brakes I would buy another. (if there are any left)
This is my i-drive team. Im at the satge of building up another one with Sram xo 2006 stuff
will keep people posted on the new one when it ready

Attachments

·
XCRACER
59 Posts
I-drive

SWEET LOOKING RIDE. WHATS THE WEIGHT? I JUST REWEIGHTED MY BIKE ON A SET OF SCALES AT MY WORK. I'M DOWN TO 23lbs 4oz. I LOVE MY BIKE. HOW DO YOU LIKE THE REBA FORK? KEPT MY POSTED ON YOUR OTHER BIKE BUILD.
LATER
LARRY

·
Registered
32 Posts
XCPRORACER said:
SWEET LOOKING RIDE. WHATS THE WEIGHT? I JUST REWEIGHTED MY BIKE ON A SET OF SCALES AT MY WORK. I'M DOWN TO 23lbs 4oz. I LOVE MY BIKE. HOW DO YOU LIKE THE REBA FORK? KEPT MY POSTED ON YOUR OTHER BIKE BUILD.
LATER
LARRY
Hi there my bike is around 11.5kg at the moment but the new one im building up i hope it under 10kg with all that carbon stuff on it

·
Registered
32 Posts
lin520 said:
Hi there my bike is around 11.5kg at the moment but the new one im building up i hope it under 10kg with all that carbon stuff on it
Just updating i have changed the xt shifter to xtr also i have added the crank brothers C cos only C version makes yellow ones :(

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
lin520 said:
Just updating i have changed the xt shifter to xtr also i have added the crank brothers C cos only C version makes yellow ones :(
The Reba fork i must say the best fork i've used better then most of the fox range good stuff rock shox now im waiting for the new 2006 reba world cup. i should have it by next week fingers cross

·
XCRACER
59 Posts
Reba Fork, Fox Fork

SWEET. I AM RUNNING A 05 ROCK SHOX SID TEAM RIGHT NOW. GREAT FORK FOR RACING AND IT LIGHT. BUT I'M THINKING ABOUT GOING WITH A 06 FOX FRLT 100mm. I HAVE BOTTOMED OUT THE SID TWO TIMES AND I'M THINKING I MIGHT NEED A LITTLE MORE UP FRONT. I WOULD GO WITH A NEW REBA BUT THEN I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH DISK. I'M NOT READY FOR THAT SEEING THAT I HAVE THREE SETS OF RACING RIMS. I WILL UP DATE MY PARTS LIST AND A NEW PHOTO SOON.
LATER

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have just ordered my component to go on to the new bike

Gt i-drive team frame
Fsa K-force crankset
Thomson elite seatpost ( i really want masterpiece but for 50g lighter double price Na)
Thomson elite stem
Fsa K-force falt carbon bar
Odi grip wiht lock ring
2006 Sram Xo trigger
2006 Sram Xo carbon rear derailer
XTR front derailer
2006 Avid Juicy carbon 160mm disk
Shimano SIS cable set
Crank brother pedals C
2006 sram PG-990 Cassette
Sram pg-990 chain
Selle italia prolink carbon seat
Rock shox reba still deciding if i want the team version or the carbon 2006 version
Spinergy xcylone with yellow spokes
Ritchey Z-max tires

I guess thats all.
Picture should not me long i will post it ASAP when it done just that it hard to put it together with no tools have to borrow them

1 - 20 of 144 Posts