Raceface narrow-wide chainring
SLX levers, SLX front rotor, XTR rear caliper
AI2 rotors

Total weight 21.5 lbs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cool build! How does it ride?

I have a buddy with that frame that would benefit from these modern updates.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a huge improvement. previously it had rim brakes and heavy wheels. the extra 1.5 inches doesn't seem like much, but you feel it(thats what she said????)

·
Registered
32 Posts
LOL. Naturally. How much travel are the shocks? I forget what the factory travel is for those bikes.

Nice work

·
Registered
564 Posts
Are the wheels/tires on the heavier side for this build? 21.5 lbs aint heavy, but with a 3lb frame running 1x I would think this bike would be 20ish.

And how do you like the vredesteins btw? have always been curious about those tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The wheels are rated at "1560 grams". They are lighter than the 26 that came off of the bike. I could go with a carbon set of hoops and drop 200 ish grams and a lighter drivetrain.

The tires are great, I had an older set that are discontinued and they were only good in hard pack. These hook on almost any surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, the crank is from an earlier budget version of the bike and probably outweighs the frame...lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have to do anything to the brake to fit between the stays? I have an orange 2000 homegrown and your bike has inspired me to try a 650B conversion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, the 165 avid rotor works best for the back. My 160 ashima wasn't making good contact with the pads

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't remember at this point. It wasn't hard to find and a standard cartridge type(not hollow).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! And BTW - seriously nice ride. Just bought this and am planning similar - I have set of Hayes 22mm.
s-l1600 (2).jpg 1056.jpg

Weird as the N'Litened is on the head tube and missing the Homegrown Factory sticker on the top tube...

:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! And BTW - seriously nice ride. Just bought this and am planning similar - I have set of Hayes 22mm.
View attachment 1023947 View attachment 1023948

Weird as the N'Litened is on the head tube and missing the Homegrown Factory sticker on the top tube...

:)
Very nice frame! Yeah, I didn't want to go with an older caliper(just wanted newer tech) and the XTR + A2Z adapter was the only solution I found. Took some balls to take a dremel tool to an XTR caliper.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts