Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have an IBIS Mojo with xt parts which i finally took down from the mantle to ride. Feels so good and different compared to the beast of a 2018 Norco Torrent 1.
Should I upgrade the parts at all on her like handle bars, 3x FD to 1x, going to a dropper seat post, and maybe tubeless tires setup?

I don't ride too much but starting to for health reasons. Need to lose weight and stay healthy. Not much of a riding style except leisure. I'm 5'10" and 220ish.

PM

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Id say upgrade but I would stick with the 3x. But get a good seat. WTB Volt 142 is my current fave & has helped with butt pain causing less than fun rides.

I use my old hard tail as an exercise bike. I'm lucky enough to live near a paved path that goes for miles and miles.

I've upgraded all the components to old vintage stuff that gets me all excited. Fun and not terribly expensive. I do like the 3x big ring for high speed straights, something I wouldn't be able to do with a 34 or 36t.

If you're going to ride trails, yeah I'd go tubeless & maybe a pnw dropper.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I would just do what is needed to get it in riding shape, ride it to get yourself in riding shape, and then consider a new bike.

You say you are just leisure riding to get in shape. You don't need any upgrades for that, and if you do get in shape and become passionate about it, the money saved can get you a much more capable bike.

·
Your bike sucks
2,558 Posts
I'd 'upgrade' things that make the bike feel/fit better to you - assuming you like the modern aspects of your other bike. I'd skip performance minutia upgrades. Think: things like stem length/bar width.

*maybe* - if you have the gearing - put on a 1X wide-narrow chain ring vs. buying a new drive train.

I like droppers and they are generally portable to other bikes (what's the seatpost dim on that older HD?) and functional ones can be had for around a $150.

When your tires wear out, tubeless can be done on even older rims for price of a roll of tape and valve stems.

I'm picky on brakes - so how do the current ones work?

anyway -> HBar $50, dropper $150, chainring $30... which, to me, isn't much of an investment in an old bike if you want these things. But you really don't require much more than a reliable bike for fitness and leisure use; the rest is up to you on what improves your experience.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
So you have a 27.5+ hardtail too... I would upgrade the aspects of the bike that make it uncomfortable (bars and maybe brakes, for safety) and new tires if they’re not in good shape/suitable for your trails. Other than this, leave it and rock it.

But, if you really want to get in shape ride that Norco...

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
He says he's already got a new bike also.
"I have an IBIS Mojo with xt parts which i finally took down from the mantle to ride. Feels so good and different compared to the beast of a 2018 Norco Torrent 1."

My advice stands. Don't upgrade it. If you want something that rides "so good and different compared to the beast of a 2018 Norco Torrent 1" then just get another bike.

Bring a leisure rider, taking a 19 year old Mojo and going 1x, adding a dropper, going tubeless, new bars, etc. makes no sense. Especially if it IS a second bike.

·
Your bike sucks
2,558 Posts
I'm going to amend my comment a bit...as i think i was having a senior moment on the time-frame...anyway - I'd rock that vintage bike as close to period correct and have a great time. I probably wouldn't do much except this: brakes work and bike functions safely and properly - how's that rubber?

I still think the touch points (bars / seat / grips / pedals) are subject to your preferences

Bikes in this period probably have something like 27.2 or 28.6 or some other seat post diameter that makes reuse dead-end. Yeah, you could spend on a 27.2 dropper but it's going to cost and unless you are someone who has need (read bike collector) for a 27.2 - that's throwing money out the window.

Also - there are some nice threads in the Vintage forum from people who love these hardtails and some are restored - some are repurposed. Great bikes and worth checking out if you want to feel the love. If you do happen to take any thing off - keep it. Someone would love to have a classic hardtail with period correct parts. If it's the Ti version, PM me :)

I use a 1988 and a 1991 - quality steel bikes - as townies & go getters.... my 1988 had a great life - from mtn exploring to all sorts of racing to single speeding to burning man. It doesn't seem that long ago to me.

·
Rider
172 Posts
Getting back into biking I pulled out my 20 y/o Specialized HardRock Pro - Disk. Started making some changes, tires, seat, bars, riser. Added a mirror, removed the mushy old forks and replaced with a ridged. Removed front derailleur and made it a 1x8. Gave it a good wash and a complete tune-up. Got it pretty well dialed.

But it wasn't a new "longer slacker" bike. Bought a used 2019 Salsa Timber Jack. Been riding it and loving it full time for a couple of months now.

This past weekend pulled out the old Specialized for a spin. Looks like I will not be UPGRADING my NEW Salsa to make it more like my OLD specialized. : -)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.