Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked one of these forks up, and it does indeed clear the Mythos 29er tire without any trouble (heck, you could almost cram an Exi in there). My question regards travel and clearance to the bottom of the crown. A crude measurement reveals that there is about 85mm of clearance from the tallest point on the knobs to the base of the steerer. My understanding is that this fork is a 100mm travel model, which leads me to believe that I need to rebuild it and put in an extra bumper to limit the travel to 80mm.

I know MC and a few others have used these forks for 29" wheels - did you find it necessary to install extra bottomout bumpers, or does the tire manage to clear even under bottoming type loads? I ask not for myself, really (I'm too retro grouchy for suspension) but for a friend who wants to put this fork on his 29er. I'd rather not have him land on his face unexpectedly, so any input would be great.

Thanks guys!

-Walt

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
Ww

I seem to recall that I limited the travel by 1" (with a .19 sleeve of PVC from Home Despot)and it was enough to keep the tire/crown from meeting.

You'll need to add a bottom out bumper of some sort to make the bottom out less harsh, but total investment in the project should be less than $1.

MC

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
mikesee said:
I seem to recall that I limited the travel by 1" (with a .19 sleeve of PVC from Home Despot)and it was enough to keep the tire/crown from meeting.

You'll need to add a bottom out bumper of some sort to make the bottom out less harsh, but total investment in the project should be less than $1.

MC
You can use the ATI bar end plugs. I cut off the end, and was left with a hard-ish rubber tube that slipped onto the compression rod (is that the correct name?) perfectly and acted as its own bottom out bumper. Seems to be a very similar material to the Manitou bumpers already inside the fork.

btw, I love those forks - I have two, and I'm never gonna let them go! They fit my friend's Rig front wheel easily with the Bonty 2.2 tyre.

One more Q though - what frames did you use them on Mike? Are they tall enough for real 29er frames?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I've been thinking about ebaying one of these too. Seems like a nice cheap solution for some quality-ish travel. One question I have, is how tall are these forks? I realize they come w/4" for a 26" wheel, so does that put the hieght at that of a WB CX-1 or are we talking Marz. altitude here?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.