Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a hardtail (Giant XTC Team) and really like it, but notice that I may be better suited for a fs bike. I'm thinking about a Giant NRS because I can get an Alum. frame here in Shanghai for approx. $600 new. However, I'm getting a bad feeling about them as I've read that perhaps I need to be on something a little beefier (also, I'll be moving to Bolivia this summer, so hopefully will hit some mountains). I definately don't want a DH bike, and am hoping for something that will allow me to push it uphill, be fairly light, but also be something I don't have to worry about.
Any suggestions?
Here is what I've read about besides the NRS that I'd be interested in checking out:

-Giant Trance
-Kona Coiler
-Santa Cruz Blur
-Cannondale Scalpel 900
-Ellsworth Truth
-Jamis Dakar XC Expert
-Yetti ASR SL

Any suggestions for someone who wants a fast bike, that can take 3-4 foot jumps, roll over medium sized obstacles, and weigh under 27 lbs?
Thanks,
Matt

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Def not NRS

NRS is more of a XC racing bike, and would agree that at your wight you need something beefier. Given everything you're looking for, I'm not sure I can make a recommendation. In general, a clydesdale worthy f/s bike is probably going to top the 30 lb barrier, IMO. I'm sure you can break that barrier with some of the high end frames, just be sure you're willing to shell out the $$$.

Hopefully others will be able to give specific recommendations, i just wanted to steer you clear of the NRS. It's not built for the aggressive riding you describe.

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am not sure how light you can build it but how about a SC heckler? My dad is about 225 and loves his. It can easily take some serious abuse and is still a great climber.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scubaklook said:
I am not sure how light you can build it but how about a SC heckler? My dad is about 225 and loves his. It can easily take some serious abuse and is still a great climber.
So, none of the bikes (even the Trance) sound like they can support my butt? IT's funny really, living in China I do feel big, but I never thought I'd be considered a "clydesdale" by Americans or other Westerners, go figure. One of the things I like about the NRS is the suspension rig--I like the idea of the no bob--is this true on the other bikes I've mentioned?
Thanks,
M

·
Registered
75 Posts
matbaugh said:
Here is what I've read about besides the NRS that I'd be interested in checking out:
I wonder if you're just looking too lightweight there? Eg, the Ellsworth Truth is sold as an XC rig, while a 200 lb guy who's jumping might really want a beefier "All Mountain" Epiphany or Moment. Turner 5 spot and 6 Pack could be worth a look too. People say they climb well.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The thing about what you asked is you said you want a sub 27lb bike that will take 3-4 ft hits. With a big guy. Not huge, but your a big guy. You dont really find the two, especially since you listed some serious XC rigs. The trance, coiler, or blur would probably be ok, but the heckler would be better from SC. you should be able to build up a trance, yeti 575, or a heckler under 30 lbs.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
matbaugh said:
So, none of the bikes (even the Trance) sound like they can support my butt? IT's funny really, living in China I do feel big, but I never thought I'd be considered a "clydesdale" by Americans or other Westerners, go figure. One of the things I like about the NRS is the suspension rig--I like the idea of the no bob--is this true on the other bikes I've mentioned?
Thanks,
M
I wouldn't say that, I'm around 180lbs and my T3 is working me very well and there's loads of others that are heavier than me enjoying the Trance. Can't say I've been disapointed in my Trance since I've gotten it. Check out the Trance seriously and visit the GIANT forum and the "Official" Trance thread

·
Registered
8 Posts
Like you when I first went looking for FS i was set on XC. However, due to a number of reasons (some being: proximity and going to the bike shop i like despite having a relatively limited selection; components).

However, I ended up with a trail bike. A Kona Dawg Dee-lux. I love it. Rode it 4-6 times per week summer and lately 2x/week. Can definitely take some hits (although, personally i don't really do many) yet still climbs very well and handles great in tight single track. I think its a great all around bike. After 6 months, I think i'd buy the same bike again. It's probably about 30.5 lbs out of the box. With some minor mods, can easily go sub 30.

·
Registered
320 Posts
my experience

FWIW I have a friend that is 230, he has a NRS and loves it. The main thing for him has been getting a beefier front shock. The rear has worked great for him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lv2ride said:
FWIW I have a friend that is 230, he has a NRS and loves it. The main thing for him has been getting a beefier front shock. The rear has worked great for him.
does he take 2-3 foot drops? does he like to ollie stuff?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Doubtful

matbaugh said:
does he take 2-3 foot drops? does he like to ollie stuff?
That bike is just not made for that type of riding. Period. He may very well be doing 10 ft. drops, it doesn't change the fact that the bike isn't made for that type of riding. It is an excellent choice for someone who does a lot of singletrack riding or racing. That's what the NRS is designed for. Look at other options that have been mentioned and move on from the NRS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts