Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would everyone think the difference in the weight between AMSL1 and 66SL? The difference is about 200 grams. 66SL has longer travel, it goes up to 180 mm,
AMSL1 is only 160mm. My frame is Intense 6.6, longest fork recommended is 180mm and the shortest is 160mm. Both forks are able to change the travel, on 66SL, 140 to 180, then AMSL is 120 to 160.

I use the bike for everyday riding and playing around doing mostly jumps, but I want to bunnyhop things (50cm at the most) and when the season comes then I want to take it to downhill course. I do the everyday riding the most, downhilling next and few allmountain stuff a year.

The 200 grams difference might be considered minor, since 66SL comes with 35mm inner tube which shoudl be a lot stronger and also 20mm more travel would be nice for the downhill use. If I think downhill centered, the 66SL for sure, but I do use this bike everyday. The bike is at 15.2 kgs with AMSL1 and Saint cranks. I ordered XTR cranks so I would save about 200 grams there. What do people think? Would it be okay to change the fork to 66SL? Let's say the everyday riding is as important as downhilling.
Also, 120 mm travel on AMSL is little too short anyways, I'm setting AMSL1 at around 140mm all the time for street riding. Help me decide!! (Jesse especially;))

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer. Do you have 66SL?
This bike rides fine with shorter travel for city rides, say around 140mm travel, so what I can do is buy other shorter and lighter fork for the city use and also buy 66SL or even coiled fork for the downhilling. But, sorry, my friend wants to buy my AMSL1 and also, mine is suffering with cartridge problem, too.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
OneBikeGuy said:
How would everyone think the difference in the weight between AMSL1 and 66SL? The difference is about 200 grams. 66SL has longer travel, it goes up to 180 mm,
AMSL1 is only 160mm. My frame is Intense 6.6, longest fork recommended is 180mm and the shortest is 160mm. Both forks are able to change the travel, on 66SL, 140 to 180, then AMSL is 120 to 160.

I use the bike for everyday riding and playing around doing mostly jumps, but I want to bunnyhop things (50cm at the most) and when the season comes then I want to take it to downhill course. I do the everyday riding the most, downhilling next and few allmountain stuff a year.

The 200 grams difference might be considered minor, since 66SL comes with 35mm inner tube which shoudl be a lot stronger and also 20mm more travel would be nice for the downhill use. If I think downhill centered, the 66SL for sure, but I do use this bike everyday. The bike is at 15.2 kgs with AMSL1 and Saint cranks. I ordered XTR cranks so I would save about 200 grams there. What do people think? Would it be okay to change the fork to 66SL? Let's say the everyday riding is as important as downhilling.
Also, 120 mm travel on AMSL is little too short anyways, I'm setting AMSL1 at around 140mm all the time for street riding. Help me decide!! (Jesse especially;))

i dont have that bike but the 66SL is the best fork I have ever had. Not sure on true weights between the two but should not matter either way since it aint a weight weenie XC bike anyway. I would get the 66SL. Only downside I see is the extra cost.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FS,

The extra weight does make difference in bunny hopping, but beginning to think to give up on that.

What year 66SL is yours? I see people having problems with ATA cartridge, like my ATA cartridge on AMSL1, but how is yours?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
OneBikeGuy said:
FS,

The extra weight does make difference in bunny hopping, but beginning to think to give up on that.

What year 66SL is yours? I see people having problems with ATA cartridge, like my ATA cartridge on AMSL1, but how is yours?
I hear yuh...though if my bike were 37.5 lbs instead of 38 lbs I doubt I would notice a difference in bunnyhopping, even with the lighter front end :)

Mine is an 07. I absolutely love it. There were problems in Italy before US shipments started and some folks I have heard have had issues, but mostly with the ATA dial clicking on its own thus slightly reducing travel during downhills. I have had no problems personally.

People I know with the fork love it as well.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
200 grams is not that big of a deal considering the strength and stiffness you'll be gaining. Although, if your bike is already front heavy, the extra weight may unbalance it further.

I've also heard that the RC2 damper is a little better than the TST. Do a search on here, you'll find some good debates on it.

You will however be giving up the ATA convenience. But if you don't fiddle with the travel on a ride, or don't mind carrying a pump, the 66SL would be fine.

I just got an excellent deal on a new 06 66SL from Mike at the pedalshop.com so give him a call if you're interested. I think he has one left. PM me if you want details.

Good luck, your bike looks amazing. How is that evolver? did they manitou (de)tune it specifically for the intense VPP?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess BM is talking about 06 66SL? 07 66SL does have ATA, but I hear they are suffering from the same ATA problems as my AMSL1.

My thoughts include wether I should buy 06 66SL or 07 66SL, too. So, Beef's information is again very useful. The deal at the Chain Reaction is also good and they have white one on the special. One thing I should find out is that I have to find a dealer can do the cartridge service by themselves so they don't have to send the cartridge back to Marzocchi. I'm planning to always have extra cartridge on hand to eliminate the down time of sending it back.

The frame is 6.6, so it isn't front heavy at all, but having the XTR cranks instead of Saint, it might change the balance. But for the downhilling, I would be using heavier tires, so might not be that much problems.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
beef, the Evolver ISX-6 isn't supposed to have SPV according to Manitou. The Evolver ISX-4 is supposed to be available with SPV or no SPV. I was on the phone last week with a tech at Manitou, and he said the text on the website was incorrect. He claimed the ISX-6 is intended to be used for big hit bikes where no pedal platform is wanted and for bikes with suspension designs that don't need pedal platforms. I just got an Evolver ISX-6 today for my Nomad and sure enough there's no indication anywhere on the shock body indicating SPV...and anyone who's had a Manitou air shock knows how they like to print out everything including the tide schedules on the shock bodies. Allegedly the air valve in the piggyback on the ISX-6 is for bottomout control only. Of course, this is the same company that just sent me 6mm eyelet spacers when they were told a Nomad uses 3/8" spacers...LOL!...so take that for what it's worth.

I notice OBG mentioned 180mm travel on the 66SL he's considering, so maybe he's talking about an '07. I have an '06 66SL like yours on a Nomad I've been using for some months now and am totally happy with its performance.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
beefmagic said:
I've also heard that the RC2 damper is a little better than the TST. Do a search on here, you'll find some good debates on it.
RC2 is more than just a little better than TST. After riding the 66SL for a couple of months, I had to go back to my AM1 coil, as my loan expired on the fork. I robbed banks, sold crack, whaterver, to come up with the money for the 66. The AM1 felt so underdamped in contrast. And the stiffness of the 66 is astounding.

[and you don't have to bleed strange bladders with RC2]

_MK

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
Sorry about that, I was talking about the 06 66SL, should have been more clear. There seems to be some differences in how the PAR interacts with the other air chambers between the 06 and 07's according to reports (Knolly's thread on the 07, I think). Just hearsay for me at this point since I haven't ridden both forks.

TNC, the ISX-4 and 6 sounds promising. I really like the bottom out adjustment on the swinger 4way I've used. I was able to run a alot of sag (35%) and still have great bottom out control. My favorite feature of this shock. But it didn't seem so great in fast, choppy stuff. Please let me know how this compares to the other shocks you've used (you've got a pushed vanilla rc right?)

OBG, I have a feeling that you won't be happy until you get a 66. I ride mostly AM and light FR, but I don't mind climbing on a bigger fork for those times I need it for drops and DH.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
MK_ said:
RC2 is a more than just a little better than TST. After riding the 66SL for a couple of months, I had to go back to my AM1 coil, as my loan expired on the fork. I robbed banks, sold crack, whaterver, to come up with the money for the 66. The AM1 felt so underdamped in contrast. And the stiffness of the 66 is astounding.

[and you don't have to bleed strange bladders with RC2]

_MK
MK, your posts were the tipping point in my decision to go with RC2 over TST. I'm a tinkerer when it comes to my suspension so TST didn't have any appeal to me anyway.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Color me curious....

Just wondering where you get the weight listed for the 66SL? The 2006 All Mountain SL is listed at 1807g plus 223g for the steerer.

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28061

They don't list the weight for the 66SL, but the next lightest 66 (VF2) is listed at 2940g plus another 255g for the steerer.

66SL:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28047

66VF2:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28044

I just don't see where they're going to shave two and a quarter pounds from the next lightest 66 in order to get it down to within 200g of the All Mountain SL.

I don't know if you have set those forks side by side, but the 66 is massive in comparison to an All Mountain.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the weight table.
Weight Table

You have to be careful that the corresponding steer weight have to be added.

jeffj said:
Just wondering where you get the weight listed for the 66SL? The 2006 All Mountain SL is listed at 1807g plus 223g for the steerer.

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28061

They don't list the weight for the 66SL, but the next lightest 66 (VF2) is listed at 2940g plus another 255g for the steerer.

66SL:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28047

66VF2:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/d...#DQG#&Prgho\hdu&#@#5;4;5&mCJ=&IDOggetto=28044

I just don't see where they're going to shave two and a quarter pounds from the next lightest 66 in order to get it down to within 200g of the All Mountain SL.

I don't know if you have set those forks side by side, but the 66 is massive in comparison to an All Mountain.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TNC and beefmagic are using 06 66SL and not having problems then?
Then SSINGA is using 07 66SL and he is totally happy.

I would go for 07 66SL if it's safe to buy one. Since I'm having problems with my AMSL1's ATA, I don't feel confident to buy another fork with ATA at this moment, but If I hear from people who are not having problems then maybe there are some ways to avoid problems.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Thanks for the table reference.

Looks like the changes (addition of the 20mm axle and ?) added a pound to the AM 1 SL for 2007.

Even so, it looks like it more like a 350g difference with the 255g alloy steerer for 2007.

With only a 3/4 lb difference this year, I think more people will go for the 66 SL if they want a 20mm axle.

It also looks like Marz disagrees with themselves when the 06 AM SL is listed in one place at one weight and another weight somewhere else on the same website.

Regards,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.