Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I really dont know if this belongs but ... does anyone here ride BMX ? I tryed the BMX forums and such, most of then have never ridden a MTB so cant compare. but if you do ride BMX, is it just me or does the bike just feel really small. I'm thinking of picking up a haro backtrail X3 for 180.00 NEW !! but I also have a older BMX but dont ride it because it feels kinda small, is this just something i'm going to get used to ? did it take anyone a while to get used to MTB >> BMX ?

thanks

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've tried both, I preffer my mtbs. I now have a 26" urban/dj bike. I chose the 26" over the 20" because I want the skills I develop on my street bike to be directly appliable to my FR bike. For trials you need a 26 or 24 but for most tricks on the street a BMX is the right ride if you don't mind the difference in feel.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I started out on a 20 and rode them from 1970 til 1992 when I got my first MTB. I have a kind of passion for the the 20 so I keep one around (currently I have a supaX). Its hard to go back and forth between the MTB and the BMX 'cause of the size diff but I when I do I its still fun. I am way more comfortable on the MTB though. I am 6 ft tall and ride a Heckler/5" DJ3 and a Gt Ruckus/4"DJ 3 park bike as well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Without a doubt it'll feel strange your first ride or two, but after a while you'll like it. Riding one will make your control on a MTB more precise because there's very little margin for error on a 20". Also you'll love the simiplcity and worry-free toughness. Cheap too.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Sombrio69 said:
i never had a BMX bike, just used my neibors, but now that i have a Fr/Dh bike i cant go back, they just feel way to small, and my ankles and wrists buckel when i land on even the smallest of jumps cause im so use to 7" of travel
Your spoiled by the 7" of love.

I used to race BMX... for 7years. I'm 13 now.

It's hard for me to go back too.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Been racing BMX for 18 years now... And I am not ready to stop yet.... The biggest thing is to get a frame that is long enough for you... The BMX bike will feel funny after riding a MTB for so long, but it goes away quickly...

Brian

·
Registered
364 Posts
Try a cruiser!

todd_freeride said:
Hi, I really dont know if this belongs but ... does anyone here ride BMX ? I tryed the BMX forums and such, most of then have never ridden a MTB so cant compare. but if you do ride BMX, is it just me or does the bike just feel really small. I'm thinking of picking up a haro backtrail X3 for 180.00 NEW !! but I also have a older BMX but dont ride it because it feels kinda small, is this just something i'm going to get used to ? did it take anyone a while to get used to MTB >> BMX ?

thanks
I used to race BMX until I was about 16 and discovered cars...but I'm back! I have a 24 inch cruiser (Redline). It's a blast, especially in the winter b/c we have an indoor track close by. It felt way strange coming from my heavy Bullit to a light, tiny, quick steering fully rigid bmx bike with long cranks and ONE V-brake!!! But after 2 weeks I'm all over it! Now the Bullit feels HUGE! lol. Oh well, it's something different, which usually improves the skills. I do agree with another poster about the cheap and simple concept of these bikes. It's kind of a relief after all the tinkering and crap that goes with mt. bikes. It helps keep me from getting bored on the same old trails too...same with the road bike, but that's another story. I say GO FOR IT!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.