Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Carbon Bicycle wheel rim Metal

Tape on nice and tight, single layer to start...
Bicycle wheel rim Line Light Black Spoke

Vavle cut and in.
Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim

Purgatory Grid 2.3 front
Shwalbe Thunder Burt Snakeskin rear

They are both holding after the sealant did it's thing!!

Time will Tell...

Thanks FOR ALL THE HELP!!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YYYYYYYEEEEHHHHAAAaaaaaaa

I still have air pressure!!!
Rain stoped so I rode around and it is squishyer....28psi back 30psi front. The back lost more air and did have WAY more spots to seal than the Purg.
Purgatory definatly sealed up quicker and easier. Bead on it is beefer than Schwalbe. I had to bust out the air compressor to get the Schwalbe to seat it's beads...
Now I just need to RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Schwalbe is going to need a bit more Stans. It had alot more leaks at first than the Purgatory.
SO far seams like a great mod...now I need a real ride to test. I did ride down to the river and back (10.5mile) but I need to hit the trail and get the real feel!!

·
since 4/10/2009
35,282 Posts
those little bottles of stans are a pretty inefficient way to set up a tire to start with. I carry one in my repair kit in case I burp or otherwise lose sealant on the trail.

plus, you will not ever catch me trying to set up a regular tire tubeless again. tubeless ready or UST from now on for me.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well for a trial run at going tubeless with non tubless ready wheels and tubless ready tires I say it was damn efficient way to try tubelss...if it didn't work and I bought a big bottle of it my out of pocket cost for this trail run would have been MUCH higher.

Corse now that it has worked I plan on buying a larger quantity.

My wheels were not tubless ready but my tires are..just to be clear.

Happy Monday :p

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I know, read all that stuff. The point of this was mostly just to give it a try with my non tubeless wheels.
And Maybe a sorta noob like me may have big curious thoughts like me but didn't want to spend a whole lot to satisfy that itch...well 20 bucks later I'm no longer wondering "what if" Will it work" "is it messy" "i'm old and should stick to tubes"
LOL
Happy Monday...Go Tubeless!!
:)

·
since 4/10/2009
35,282 Posts
My first tubeless was with regular tires. It didn't hold air long and that was with tubeless rims.

I also won't use lightweight race tires either. I have seen too many torn sidewalls and sealant weepage. I have been thrilled with the reliability of continental protection rtr tires. Currently using x-kings.

I do like that you used tubeless car valves for your schraeder setup though. I wonder what the weight difference is between your method and the split tube method and whether one holds air better than the other.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
I've been debating on tubeless but $60+ to do it...that I have an issue with atm. Gorilla tape being "idiot proof" I like better. My wheels are tlr ready with strips and stems needed of course. Tires i have seem to set up easy enough and tires im buying are supposably tlr. I'm looking at it not for pressures but sealant/weight loss since current tubes are just cheap,heavy rtr tubes. Spend $30+ on lighter tubes that just mean easier flats or this route. Figure I can go tubeless for same price this way. Though have to use prestas so $15 in stems, $3 in tape and mix up my own sealant using brews found here.

Thnx for the great budget write up, now I know in this case I dont have to "pay to play".

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the Schrader Valve idea from the Tubeless Brew thread in 29er Componets fourm here...And from there I think it came from tha AZ Fourm lol. I remember someone had thoes valves on a scale. They are bilit aluminum so super light and seam to work great. I did have to cut the nut down as it comes super long and the cap would not reach the threads.
I too won't buy another light XC tire. I like the BEEFIER sidewall and bead. THe Purgatory I can hear POP when it seats but the Schwalbe is super quite click when it seats so..

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Actually looking at the valves too for my sons bike. A role of tape goes a ways and only tubeless to do on 20" is this route. Being kids bike I bought the lightest tire I could and didn't take much for him to get a flat last ride, hell I can find where but.... So thinking tubeless then no worries on flats for him either. Keep us posted on how this holds up.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is holding PSI in both tires. I had to add another ounce of Stans (bought a big bottle now that I know it's gonna work out) to the rear Schwalbe as it was dropping 3-6psi over 24hr period. Monday night I added more Stans and now no more measurable loss at this point...
After work today I'm hitting some single track so "real test" comming TODAY!! :p
Gonna be hot!! Oh well...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update =
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

First 10miles running tubelss!

First ~ Tires SOUND different. I think the lack of a tube gives the tire a hollow sound. And little rocks PING PONG Peew spit out from under while doing the 4mph climb.

Next ~ Tires FEEL different. They feel better, more contact to the ground yet a bit squisshy. I ran 30psi up front and 35 out back. Even still felt softer than runing tubes = I Like it!!

Last ~ Schwalbe Thunder Burt WOKE UP!~! Really I wasn't too happy with the traction going up hill and brakeing was touchy and skidding quicker than I like. NOW that the tube is GONE = Traction YES I have traction and same with brakeing MUCH more control.

Next ~ Gonna try 25psi up front and 30 out back!

I'm really liking the difference with No-Tubes :)
Burt
GO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
awesome, glad its working out well. Makes me much less concerned about doing it on mine and my sons bike. Picked up tape and hit lbs for stans presta stems for my bike. gotta order valves for the sons bike, and get some sealant figured out. havent decided yet if just buying stans or slime pro... or more preferably home brew (which Im digging through the long ass thread to find recipes). Slime has proven itself with me (the known and easy to find green stuff) so aiming for something that I can add it in with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.