Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Redball409 said:
Is there a 20 tooth chain ring available to lower the gear ratio on the 29s?
Other options? 180mm cranks? Or larger cogset?
Yes, depending on your bolt circle diameter. Most modern compact cranks like you probably have will take a 20 tooth granny. I just put a Vuelta 20 tooth granny on my old LX crank (58bcd). Most local shops can order you one brand or another from the distributor Quality Bicycle Parts.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
a 20t granny, 30t middle give a 29er very similar gear ratios compared to a 26er.

My first 29er was a GF sugar with a standard 22/32 and steep hills were a grind. I tried the 20/30 set up and it has made all the difference-

the problem is finding mountain cranks that are compact drive, a 58/94 bolt pattern to fit these rings. Old school cranks with BCD pop up on e-bay/mtbr calssifieds I have gotten a race face and syncros this way, but they are harder to come by now as word has gotten out they are great for the 9er set. As far as new goes you have very few options. I run middleburn cranks from MTBtandem (http://www.mtbtandems.com/) as middleburn is one of a very few who make a compact mountain cranks, and mtbtandem is one of the few US dealers that carry a 180, the path bike shop in Socal does as well. Newly joining the fray is Surly and their whirly birds, have heard good things, our lustrious miksee runs these sos I'm told. Down fall is both are pricey. I have had no problems with my middleburns and just bought a new pair.

Another option is running a 36 or 38 in the back, but that is another expense and in another thread
Peace and chain grease

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nothing in the MTB world is ever dead just put to the side assuming that nothing else it out there. I could really care less if I sell any from this forum I have no problem moving product. I love riding and when I need something that doesnt exist i use the tools at my disposal to create it, just wanted to let you know they are out there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.