Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having said that, just found out backcountry.com has 20% coupon of save20email that works on the same racks. Yes, they charge sales tax for some states, but activejunky has 8% cash back if it helps anyone. A win-win either way.

Great rack and customer service. Mine has been flawless.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Rocky Mounts monorail that I liked a lot, but it was destroyed when my car was rear ended. I replaced it with the new Westslope (2 bike version), and I think that I like it even better than the monorail, and it's significantly less expensive, too!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I had a Rocky Mounts monorail that I liked a lot, but it was destroyed when my car was rear ended. I replaced it with the new Westslope (2 bike version), and I think that I like it even better than the monorail, and it's significantly less expensive, too!
$249 on sale for WestSlope! Tempting.
Interested in your pros and cons of each, if ya don't mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Aside from the lower price, the Westslope seems quite a bit lighter than the Monorail, so it's easier to take it on and off the car, which I'm doing more frequently now given what happened to the previous rack. The Westslope also has better ground clearance, which was important for me because I'm driving a sedan. The Monorail would always scrape going up my steep driveway (even after I cut off a little extension piece that didn't appear to have any structural purpose). In contrast, I haven't scraped with the Westslope yet on that same driveway. I also like how the ratcheting arm works a little better on the Westslope. Not only does the mechanism not hang up like the Monorail sometimes did, but there is a molded in flat spot that allows me to push down more easily to get that one last click from the ratchet. In terms of holding my bike securely (a 29er with just under a 27" wheelbase), both racks seem equivalent to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry, I meant just under a 47" wheelbase. And I forgot to mention that the Westslope avoids bike to bike interference better than the Monorail because the outside bike sits a little higher than the one closer to the car. On the Monorail, I would have to use the dropper post to lower the seat on one bike to avoid the bars on the other bike hitting it.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Many valid points that apply to me. Currently using Monorail Solo on SUV with driveway that's not too steep. Next car may be low riding coupe. I rarely use a rack because I live within feet of 100s of miles, but once in a blue moon I travel to a friend's house which is why I purchased the Solo to begin with....and once in a bluer moon I take two bikes cuz a friend isn't sure if we're roadbiking or mtbing thus I place a bike inside the SUV. No biggie. Not having 2 bike carrier prevents me from driving, ha, since friends always have 2-place rack.
Maybe I am seeking an answer that my lifestyle really hasn't asked a question about. But thank you for the pros and cons. Rep added!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
But thank you for the pros and cons. Rep added!
I second this! I was close to pulling the trigger on a monorail (I'm too cheap for a one up). The ground clearance was a concern on the back of my Golf though. I may end up going with the westslope, I'm curious if the second bike will end up above the roof line though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts