Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Pike RC and TRP Slate T4 brakes. I'm currently running a 180mm rotor in front which means no adapter. I want to upgrade to a 200/203 rotor (I will buy the appropriate size adapter depending on what rotor I get). I've looked at TRP and Galfer so far and the adapters look significantly different (however the pictures may not represent what you would actually get). Are adapters like this universal?

· Single Track Mind
1,055 Posts
I am not exactly sure, and I had the same question, so no help there. I do know that when ordering the adapter from Galfer directly, they will ask the make and model of the brake. I just went with a larger rotor up front, Galfer's 203mm floating rotor, so the experience is still fresh. I'm guessing that there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between caliper footprints, but even 1 or 2 mm would make a difference. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

· B A N N E D
5,394 Posts
Galfer's 20mm adapter looks to be the old 4 bolt type, Shimano used to make adapters like that before they changed to the current 2 bolt design that most other brake manufacturers use.

Generally adapters are universal but I've seen some forum posts where occasionally there's a clearance problem where some 4 piston calipers didn't fit in some adapters properly.

If your caliper fitted on the Galfer 20mm adapter, it would work with a 200mm rotor on your fork, if you wanted to use a 203mm rotor, you might have to shim the caliper on the adapter.

If you wanted guaranteed caliper and adapter compatibility, get a TRP adapter.

5,889 Posts
I always try to get the adapter that matches my brake from the actual company. However I recently got into a pickle with my Maguras and an adapter that was nowhere to be found. I ended up trying the Shimano 180 adapter I had laying around and it worked perfectly. I think it's hit or miss which adapter will work with which brake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.