Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons birthday is next sat and Im torn on which size bike. A few days ago, we went to LBS and he rode the Specialized Rip rock 20. He liked it. That said, at the moment I think it fits perfect, but I feel in a year, or by next sept/oct, he'll be outgrowing it. So im thinking of doing a 24" Scott Roxter. It has the shortest standover height then most other brands and its the lightest. Id hate to do my son a disservice by putting him into something to big, but then again, I really don't wanna buy a bike very 15-18 months. Anyone have similar situations?

·
Registered
256 Posts
If he can stand over the bigger one, do it. The larger wheels are a huge advantage rolling over stuff, and the actual riding fit can almost certainly be made small enough with saddle drop/stem swap. Emergency dismounts without standover clearance are no fun though...

·
Registered
246 Posts
My sons birthday is next sat and Im torn on which size bike. A few days ago, we went to LBS and he rode the Specialized Rip rock 20. He liked it. That said, at the moment I think it fits perfect, but I feel in a year, or by next sept/oct, he'll be outgrowing it. So im thinking of doing a 24" Scott Roxter. It has the shortest standover height then most other brands and its the lightest. Id hate to do my son a disservice by putting him into something to big, but then again, I really don't wanna buy a bike very 15-18 months. Anyone have similar situations?
Depends on standover height. The proper kids bike companies do a great job with that. My son is a short 8 year old and he rides a 24". He has some friends who are 8 and 9 and ride 27.5" bikes. FWIW buy from a company who makes kids bikes if you are getting a 24" bike. Not a company who makes bikes and then shrinks them down the kid. What is the rationale for the plus size tires?

·
Registered
234 Posts
As said above...depends on his standover. As a blanket statement, I’d avoid the Riprock 20 all together.

If you’re set on a Riprock, get the 24 and run 2.1-2.35 tires so he can stand over the thing. The rear triangle can handle 24, 24+, 26, and 27.5 wheels and tires. If you’re creative, you could run it until he’s 10 or 11.

That being said, there’s bikes that will fit him better where he’s at now and make it more enjoyable to ride than either the Riprock 20 or 24. You make have to switch it up in 18 months but it’s better than them not liking the bike or being scared of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.