Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a sweet deal on a 20 mm fork, but have no 20 mm rims. Right now I'm riding on Single Track SunRims and have had no troubles. What is my best option? Should I buy a new hub and re-thread, or just buy a new rim? Also I'm having trouble finding something good that would match the back rim well and doesn't cost like $300. I want something at least as durable as what I have, but as cheap as possible. Any tips or tricks on where I should look? Any personal suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Ok I know that. Sorry for not being specific enough. Substitute rims with wheel or wheelset in my post. Wanting to know if I should get a new hub and re-thread or get a whole new wheel(rim, spokes and hub).

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Rims are the metal part that holds the tire.
You need a different hub, the rims have nothing to do with the axle size.
You could buy a new wheel (hub+rim+spokes) or you could just buy a new hub and use your existing rim. If you buy a new hub, you might need different length spokes.
An inexpensive hub would be something like the DMR Revolver 20mm thru-axle hub ($60 at universalcycles.com).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I know that. Sorry for not being specific enough. Substitute rims with wheel or wheelset in my post. Wanting to know if I should get a new hub and re-thread or get a whole new wheel(rim, spokes and hub).

·
mtbr member
655 Posts
Don't skimp on wheels, they are a make it or break it component. I ran into the same issue you did and ended up buying a used DT340 hub for $80 and had my wheel relaced (with new spokes....NEVER reuse spokes).

Also, don't be afraid to look around for a used wheel either. I sold a used front wheel with a 20mm thru axle that was in fabulous shape for $100. I would have sold it to my best friend because it was in that good of shape. That wheel new was ~$400.

If you have ever thought about going tubeless now might be the time to do so. Get a UST wheel and experience low pressure wonders like never before :D

just read your last post (we were typing at the same time), there is a good chance that a new wheel will cost as much as a new hub and relacing your current wheel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No afraid of used, just don't really know what to look for. I'll mostly be riding light freeride, moderate drops, and urban.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ziglaf said:
I just got a sweet deal on a 20 mm fork, but have no 20 mm rims. Right now I'm riding on Single Track SunRims and have had no troubles. What is my best option? Should I buy a new hub and re-thread, or just buy a new rim? Also I'm having trouble finding something good that would match the back rim well and doesn't cost like $300. I want something at least as durable as what I have, but as cheap as possible. Any tips or tricks on where I should look? Any personal suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Ok I know that. Sorry for not being specific enough. Substitute rims with wheel or wheelset in my post. Wanting to know if I should get a new hub and re-thread or get a whole new wheel(rim, spokes and hub).
Relacing used rims can be a false economy, especially with a relatively inexpensive rim like the Singletrack. Can be tough to build the new wheel with even spoke tensions, which can result in a weaker, less durable wheel.

If you want the same rim, a custom build is your best bet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts