Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would Ideally like to get one of the new '05 Z1s for my '03 KHS FR 2000. You know: the new "dedicated axle" bolt-on Marzocchi system. Whats the best hub for those?

Or:
I might get the '04 Z1 Drop Off 1 with the regular drop outs and convert a 9mm shimano hub to bolt-on.

Wheel World has a set of Azonic disc wheels. Azonic discs and Azonic Hubs. It says the hubs can be converted to QR. That might give me more flexibility.

I have found no Azonic hubs here in the reviews. Azonic rims? Are these any good? Should I save up for Hadleys? Should I get a cheep set of Deore 525 wheels and convert both F and R to bolt-on?

Sorry for all the ?s. I'm new to this whole "sturdy hub" idea.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
the Outlaw rim set is strong...the hubs are good too (great warranty...and you can't beat the price of 260 bucks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh oh Outlaws have ALLOY nipples!

I don't do aluminum nipples. Not even on my weight weenie hard tail. There is no way that I would buy a set of wheels just to spend an entire day swapping out 72 aluminum-collored alluminum nipples for nice black brass ones. Then, of course, I would never get them factory true again.

Those spokes look like 15 gauge to me. No one has acturally measured them yet.

I think I just go for some all-black Nashbar wheels with Deore 525s (built up just the way I like them with #32 14g black spokes and black nipples). I'll swap the fron QR axle to a 9mm bolt-on and the rear for a 10mm bolt on. I bolt the front to an '04 Z1 Drop Off 1.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.