Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm passing on my sons bike to my daughter and want to make it special for her. I disassembled it, with the help of my local bike shop for the cranks. Today we will take it to a local shop to get it powder coated teal.

Since I have the bike in pieces - any parts that I can swap to get some easy weight reduction. She wont be doing any hard core mtn biking or racing of any sort but I figure that I would try to grab some low hanging upgrades. Thanks in advance and let me know if you folks want weights on anything before sandblast\powder coat.

Any recommendations other then ebay on getting replacement stickers?
Thanks in advance!

Cable Technology Electrical supply Wire Networking cables

·
Go faster!
211 Posts
I'm passing on my sons bike to my daughter and want to make it special for her. I disassembled it, with the help of my local bike shop for the cranks. Today we will take it to a local shop to get it powder coated teal.

Since I have the bike in pieces - any parts that I can swap to get some easy weight reduction. She wont be doing any hard core mtn biking or racing of any sort but I figure that I would try to grab some low hanging upgrades. Thanks in advance and let me know if you folks want weights on anything before sandblast\powder coat.

Any recommendations other then ebay on getting replacement stickers?
Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1247342
Not interested in weights and not sure where you'll need to go for replacement stickers. If I can offer any advice, don't get too carried away. She'll grow out of it in no time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although she will out grow the bike soon enough, I enjoy working on this project and making it special for her. We went to the powder coating shop and 2 things happened:

1. I need to disassemble the front shock. Looked at a couple of videos and it seems pretty straight forward. Will also look into replacing the seals.

2. She didn't like the teal color.

So we are now looking at other shops for powder coating and i'll be doing some research on the low hanging weight savings.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The big parts have most of the weight. Frame, fork, rims, tires, crank. Find the steel parts and replace them with aluminum. But it will be hard to overcome its fundamental nature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.