Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've got it in my head that i want to sell my XC/commuter and build a fun urban bike, to compliment my fun trail rig.
In my mind a BMX makes sense for some of my criteria, but its a real unknown area to me... i'm much more comfortable with the idea of a 24" mtb related bike.

Basically i want to:
- commute short distances
- do some trials street urban tricks drops jumps etc.
- hit the skatepark and have some fun
- try my hand at the dirt jumps

i like the idea of keeping the cost fairly low on this one!

This felt bmx caught my eye:
felt chronic
or was eyeing up this 24" frame:
agent! bikes smith

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas welcome.
Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ perttime: yea i was looking at the p-45 alright... very nice.
CRC have the p-45 comp for 670 euro which is ok i suppose:
p-45 comp
wondering if i could build it cheaper.

But i'm totally blind in this arena - and no bike shops here will have anything decent for me to test; so i need advice. What works, what doesnt, can i get a bike that will meet all my criteria??????

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I see the "commute short distances" part as the only big IF.

If you want to have the seat high for commuting and low for play, the seat post might be an issue. Another thing is if you want a singlespeed, or need multiple gears for something.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I imagine i'll be commuting for no more than 20min at a time really.
The GT UF 24 is really nice actually... cant find any for sale yet in ireland/uk.
I think i'm pretty certain on singlespeed - this needs to be a very simple bike; altho i'm still wondering about rigid or suspension forks.

·
ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
245 Posts
20,s or 24's? i'd go for the 24's. 20's are hard to ride for long distance... are you going to be geared or s.s.? thats another thingy you have to think about. if you dj/sk8 park, s.s. is the best. you have less hardware to hang down and get damaged, and a little cheaper to build, you have less parts... :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
personally i would say identiti, dmr or the likes, you're inm england and im not overly familiar with what's over there, i think a 24/7 dark angel may tickle your fancy and they're relatively affordable and and they sell cpmpletes and if you hurry, they have limited run completes that have custom colors and are upspecced a tad. or talk to brad aka evil4bc aka nemesis project his stuff is kinda pricey but solid, beautiful and eyecatching and handmade

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
I'd just echo the call on 24s. My 20" is fun but if you are just starting into some of this, the 24 will be more forgiving and probably more versatile. My Union Street is arguably the best bike I have ever been on although it will probably cost you a grand or a little more to build it up. The DMR is a nice option for a complete if you want to keep costs reasonable. I've even seen guys throw a suspension fork on General Lee's and have fun (and that would be a very cheap option). If you are even thinking about going to 20" but aren't ready to jump right in, a rigid 24 will help you decide if that's for you as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
wow you had a question I was just about to ask to whether I should go with bmx or a 24in for basically everything but commuting... The thing I don't really like about the 24 in is I'm afraid learning to do tricks on it will be difficult b/c on my 26in I've been havin trouble learning to bunnyhop and I can almost manual (especially if I'm goin down a hill), also price is quite a bit higher compared to a Felt Pro, which is what I've been lookin at...any help will be appreciated...thanks

·
40 oz to freedom
1,049 Posts
If you have a bunnyhop dialed on a BMX bike you can get it on any bike. Is the 26" your trying to bunnyhop on now a fully? They really hurt how high you can get. I can only get 6 inches off the ground on my fully but with my BMX bike I can get roughly 2.5 feet. I actually like bigger wheels learning tricks on because I think they are much more stable in the air.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.