Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Missing
Joined
·
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting over to SRAM from XTR gonna mix it up and had a question

Should i go with a medium or a large cage for the rear or does it matter I run a 2 x 9

up front as I race here in Texas and its all flat. I am assuming medium would be fine but I do

not know what the size differences mean any ways please advise

Joey G.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,579 Posts
pernfilman said:
I am converting over to SRAM from XTR gonna mix it up and had a question

Should i go with a medium or a large cage for the rear or does it matter I run a 2 x 9

up front as I race here in Texas and its all flat. I am assuming medium would be fine but I do

not know what the size differences mean any ways please advise

Joey G.
Look over in the drivetrain forum at the sticky at the top of the page. There are also three post a week asking the same question. Read the sticky, because it is good info, and most people who answer this question in other threads don't know what the heck they are talking about, and give irrelevant information. Long of the short (no pun intended) is that you will certainly be able to run a med cage, and possibly even a short cage, it depends on the ring sizes (difference between the ring sizes, actually) and cassette range.

I run a short cage x-9 with a 2x9 setup (22/32 ring combo and 11-34 cassette).
 

·
What's "social pace?"
Joined
·
957 Posts
pernfilman said:
I am converting over to SRAM from XTR gonna mix it up and had a question

Should i go with a medium or a large cage for the rear or does it matter I run a 2 x 9

up front as I race here in Texas and its all flat. I am assuming medium would be fine but I do

not know what the size differences mean any ways please advise

Joey G.
For a 2x9, depending on the capacity requirements dictated by your chainring and cassette measurements, you will need either a medium or a long cage derailleur.

If you want to run a short cage, look into 1x9. That's getting more popular in our area. It's good stuff.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
14,579 Posts
dinoadventures said:
For a 2x9, depending on the capacity requirements dictated by your chainring and cassette measurements, you will need either a medium or a long cage derailleur.

If you want to run a short cage, look into 1x9. That's getting more popular in our area. It's good stuff.
What 2x9 combo would require a long cage? I'm getting away with a short cage on my 2x9.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
mid cage

I'm running mid xtr with custom 27/42 combo & 11-34 or 11-27. Just now trying 27/40, loose a bit on the downs, but easier on the rolling flats, climbs for my knees. :thumbsup:
 

·
aka Jesse Palmer
Joined
·
857 Posts
conrad said:
I'm running mid xtr with custom 27/42 combo & 11-34 or 11-27. Just now trying 27/40, loose a bit on the downs, but easier on the rolling flats, climbs for my knees. :thumbsup:
You know modern downhill race bikes have all gone to 36t or 38t... just saying ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
that's interesting...I'm strictly a x-country hard tail/rigid guy....hve tried the following combos over the years
12-28 28/38/48 1st bike 1993
13-30 26/36/46
12-32 24/34/44
12-32 22/32/44
12-32 20/32/42 plus crank arms 175mm or 180mm from now on....
12-32 29/42
11-34 30/42
11-27 20/30/42
11-34 27/42 or 11-27 27/42
11-34 27/40 or 11-27/40 best combos yet each year I get older I need to spin more....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,770 Posts
almost the same...

conrad said:
that's interesting...I'm strictly a x-country hard tail/rigid guy....hve tried the following combos over the years
12-28 28/38/48 1st bike 1993
13-30 26/36/46
12-32 24/34/44
12-32 22/32/44
12-32 20/32/42 plus crank arms 175mm or 180mm from now on....
12-32 29/42
11-34 30/42
11-27 20/30/42
11-34 27/42 or 11-27 27/42
11-34 27/40 or 11-27/40 best combos yet each year I get older I need to spin more....
Also getting older i am now at 11-32 with 27/42 up front...paired to a short cage DA 7900 rear derailleur and DA7800 front.
 

Attachments

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Almost the same for me too except 24/36 with an 11-34 on a 29er. Roughly equivalent to a 27/40 set up on a 26er (well, rounded up). I must be getting even older...

G
 

·
aka Jesse Palmer
Joined
·
857 Posts
Works for Adam Craig


I'm gonna try this setup soon on the xc race bike. Interested to see how the chainguide performs with no lower roller.

The 24/36 gear combo that Truvativ puts on their "all mountain" cranks is pretty money (at least for here in San Luis Obispo, which is where Truvativ also happens to be) I really don't see the point of anything larger than 38t on a mountain bike: it's fine for my DH race bike, so how could I possibly want anything more on a XC bike? If you say "for the flats" I say lame, go ride your road bike :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
The large chainring is for those long gradual fire-road descents and for the Sea Otter. Actually, most of us racing in Cat 1 spend 85% of the time in the 44. I'm not saying that I will pedal more than say 20 strokes in the 44/11 combo, but nonetheless, I will upshift until I run out of gears, and so will the rest of my competition.

I've got a 36 single ring front setup on the fun bike paired with an 11/34, and I can say that with impromtu testing with my training partner has shown that as soon as I run out of gears, I end up about 50-75 meters behind starting the next climb. So, if I was actually racing, I'd have to bridge that gap on the climb, which is quite a bit harder to do than when you have gravity helping out.
 

·
aka Jesse Palmer
Joined
·
857 Posts
You basically only lose the top gear on a 11-34 cassette: 44/13 is roughly equivalent to 36/11.

I'd say let them tire themselves out on the lame fireroad. Warming up air molecules is a losing battle, gravity can be conquered :thumbsup:

I like Adam Craig's style better than the typical pro xc nerd anyway... :p
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top